Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think John 6:68 originally had:
"answered and said, My Lord"?
"answered Him and said, Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "answered and said, My Lord."

John 6:68 - Simeon Kifa answered and said, "My Lord, who shall we go to? You have words of Eternal Life
       answered and said: My Lord ... - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "answered Him and said, Lord ...".

Diatessaron 20:8
Simon Cephas answered and said, My Lord, to whom shall we go? thou 9 hast the words of eternal life. 

===================================
Do you think John 7:15 originally had:
"this man"?
"he"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "this man."

John 7:15 - The Jews marveled and said, "How is it possible that this man knows the scriptures when he has not learned?"
       this man - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'He'.

Diatessaron 28:16
And the Jews wondered, and said, How doth this man know writing, seeing he hath not learned? 

Do you think John 7:34 originally had:
"Me... Me"?  
merely one "Me"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Me... Me."

John 7:34 - You will seek Me, but will not find Me. 
You cannot come where I am. ”
       Not finding me - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. In the Greek NA28 the word 'Me' is in brackets and in the Greek MHT and TR it is missing.

Diatessaron 34:51 
And ye shall seek me, and shall not find me: 
and where I shall be, ye shall not be able to come. 

John 7:34
(Darby) Ye shall seek me and shall not find [me], 
and where I am ye cannot come.
(Young's Literal)
ye will seek me, and ye shall not find; 
and where I am, ye are not able to come.'
(NKJV) You will seek Me and not find _Me_, 
and where I am you cannot come.”

Do you think John 7:35 originally had:
"Greeks... Greeks"?
"nations... pagans/heathen/profane"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "nations... pagans/heathen/profane."

John 7:35 - The Jews said to one another, “Where does He intend to go so that we cannot find Him? Does He intend to go to the regions of the nations? Does He intend to teach the Gentiles?
       Does He intend to ... to teach the Gentiles? - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "Does He intend to go to the Greeks and teach the Greeks?" In Greek one word occurs twice namely the word 'Greeks', while in Aramaic we find two words namely 'peoples' and 'Gentiles'. The last word means "unbelievers" or "wicked".

Diatessaron 34:52
The Jews said within themselves, Whither hath this man determined to go that we shall not be able to find him? can it be that he is determined to go to the regions of the nations, and teach the heathen? 

John 7:35
(Etheridge) The Jihudoyee say among themselves, Whither is this about to go, that we cannot find him ? To the countries of the nations is he to go, and to teach the Heathens ?
(Murdock) The Jews said among themselves: Whither is he about to go, that we cannot find him? Will he go to some region of the Gentiles, and teach the profane?
(Lamsa) Then the Jews said among themselves, Where is he going, that we cannot find him? why, is he planning to go to the countries of the Gentiles, to teach the pagans?

(Berean Literal) Therefore the Jews said among themselves, "Where is He about to go that we will not find Him? Is He about to go to the Dispersion among the Greeks and to teach the Greeks?
(Young's Literal) The Jews, therefore, said among themselves, 'Whither is this one about to go that we shall not find him? -- to the dispersion of the Greeks is he about to go? and to teach the Greeks;

_The Message of the New Testament and the Aramaic Bible (Targum)_, by R. Le Deaut, translated from French by Stephen F. Miletic (1982), 71pp., on 20-21
Even the Septuagint, while generally closer to the Hebrew text, is not without original interpretations, which can be attributed to the theological ideas of the translator and his historical milieu.  Examples of this are found in the identifications which actualize the Greek text (e.g., the "Greeks" in _Isaiah_ 9.11 replace the earlier "Philistines")....

Do you think John 7:36 originally had:
"Me... Me"?  
merely one "Me"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Me... Me."

John 7:36 - What is this word He said, "You will seek Me, but will not find Me, and where I am you cannot come!"
       Not finding me - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. In the reading of the Greek NA28 the word 'Me' is in brackets and in the reading of the Greek MHT and TR it is missing.

Diatessaron 34:53
What is this word that he said, Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, ye cannot come?

John 7:36
(Darby) What word is this which he said, Ye shall seek me and shall not find [me]; and where I am ye cannot come?
(Young's Literal) what is this word that he said, Ye will seek me, and ye shall not find? and, Where I am, ye are not able to come?'

Do you think John 7:42 originally had:
"the village of David"?
"the village where David came from"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the village of David."

John 7:42 - Doesn't the Scripture say that the Christ will come from the descendants of David and from Bethlehem, the village of David? "
       offspring - literally 'seed'.
       the village of David - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the village where David came from'.

Diatessaron 35:6
Hath not the scripture said that from the seed of David, and from Bethlehem, the village of David, the Messiah cometh? 

Do you think John 7:45 originally had:
"the priests said"?
"they said"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the priests said."

John 7:45 - The guards returned to the chief priests and Pharisees. The priests said to them, "Why didn't you bring Him?"
       The priests said ... - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'they said ...'

Diatessaron 35:9
And those officers came to the chief priests and Pharisees: and the priests said unto them, Why did ye not bring him? 

Do you think John 7:47 originally had:
"said to them"?
"answered them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have"said to them."

John 7:47 - The Pharisees said to them, “Have you (sometimes) been deceived?
       said to them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads "answered them."

Diatessaron 35:11
The Pharisees said unto them, Perhaps ye also have gone astray? 

Do you think John 8:12 originally had:
"find"?
"have"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "find."

John 8:12 - Jesus spoke to them again and said, “I AM the Light of the world. He who follows Me will not walk in darkness, but will find the Light of Life. ”
       find - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'have'.

Diatessaron 35:23
And Jesus addressed them again, and said, I am the light of the world; and he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall find the light of life.

Do you think John 8:16 originally had:
"I and my Father who sent me"?
"I and the Father who sent me"?
"I and he who sent Me"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "I and my Father who sent me."

John 8:16 - Even though I judge, (yet) my judgment is true, for I am not alone, but I and my Father who sent me.
       my Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek MHT and TR reads: 'the Father', and the reading of the Greek NA28 says: 'but I and he who sent Me'.

Diatessaron 35:27
And even if I judge, my judgement is true; because I am not alone, but I and my Father which sent me.

Do you think John 8:18 originally had:
"my Father"?
"rhe Father"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Father."

John 8:18 - I AM who testify of Myself and my Father who sent Me testifies of Me. "
       my Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Father'.

Diatessaron 35:29
I am he that beareth witness to myself, and my Father which sent me beareth witness to me.

Do you think John 8:19 originally had:
"Jesus answered and said"?
"Jesus answered"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus answered and said."

John 8:19 - They said to Him, "Where is Your Father?" Jesus answered and said to them, "You do not know Me and (also) My Father. If you knew Me, you would also know my Father."
       Jesus answered and said to them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Jesus replied'.

Diatessaron 35:30
They said unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye know not me, nor my Father: for did ye know me, ye would know my Father. 

Do you think John 8:25 originally had:
"the Yehudians/Jews"?
"they"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the Yehudians/Jews."

John 8:25 - The Jews said to Him, "Who are You?" Jesus said to them, “What I have already started to say to you.
       The Jews - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'She'.

Diatessaron 35:36
The Jews said, And thou, who art thou? Jesus said unto them, If I should begin to speak unto you, I have concerning you many words and judgement: but he that sent me is true; 

John 8:25 (Young's Literal)
They said, therefore, to him, 'Thou -- who art thou?' and Jesus said to them, 'Even what I did speak of to you at the beginning;

Do you think John 8:29 originally had:
"my Father"?
"the Father"?
"He"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Father."

John 8:29 - He who sent Me is with Me. My Father has never left Me alone because I always do what He thinks is right. ”
       My Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek MHT and TR reads 'the Father' and the reading of the Greek NA28 reads 'He'.

Diatessaron 35:40
And he that sent me is with me; and my Father hath not left me alone; because I do what is pleasing to him at all times.

Do you think John 8:33 originally had:
"they said to Him"?
"They answered Him"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "they said to Him."

John 8:33 - They said to Him, “We are Abraham's descendants and have never worked as slaves for anyone. How can you say, 'You will be set free!'? ”
       They said to Him - according to the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "They answered Him."
       offspring - literally: 'seed'.

Diatessaron 35:44
They said unto him, We are the seed of Abraham, and have never served any man in the way of slavery: how then sayest thou, Ye shall be free children?

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 06-09-2020, 02:55 PM