Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
How would you render the Greek John 5:2?
Do you think 'Beyt-Khesda' should be transliterated and then translated?
Do you think John 5:2 originally had:
"a place to baptize"? merely "a pond/bath"?
a mention of "sheep"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "a place to baptize," and neither mentions "sheep."

John 5:2 - There was a place to baptize in Jerusalem near the Sheep Gate that was called 'Beyt-Khesda' in Hebrew. There were (there) five porticoes.
a place to baptize - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. In the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR it says: 'κολυμβήθρα' which is usually translated as 'pond' or: 'bath'.
Beyt-Khesda - this name appears only in this verse in the NT and means either 'house of grace' or: 'house of running water' (‹G964›). Only in the Greek NA28 do we find the lecture: 'Bethzata'.

Diatessaron 22:10
And there was in Jerusalem a place prepared for bathing, which was called in Hebrew the House of Mercy, having five porches.

John 5:2
(Etheridge) Now there was there in Urishlem a certain place of ablution, [Or, of baptism.] which was called in Hebrew Bethchesda, and having in it five porticoes.
(Murdock) And there was there in Jerusalem a certain place of baptizing, which was called in Hebrew Bethesda; and there were in it five porches.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) But there was a certain baptismal place in Jerusalem called in Aramaic, Bayth Khesda, and there were in it five porches.

(Disciples’ Literal NT) Now in Jerusalem near the Sheep _gate_, there is _a_ pool— the _one_ being called Bethzatha _in_ Hebrew, having five porticos.
(NKJV) Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep _Gate_ a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches.
(King James) Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep _market_ a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.
(NIV) Now there is in Jerusalem near the Sheep Gate a pool, which in Aramaic is called Bethesda and which is surrounded by five covered colonnades.

===================================
Do you think John 5:7 originally had "and said"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "and said."

John 5:7 - The patient answered Him and said, “Yes, my Lord, (but) there is no one to baptize me (bath) when the water is stirred. Before I (get there), another one descends in front of me. ”
and said - this text is part of the reading of the Aramean Peshitta, but not of the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.
before I arrive - literally: "while I am coming".

Diatessaron 22:15
That diseased one answered and said, Yea, my Lord, I have no man, when the water moveth, to put me into the bathing-place; but when I come, another goeth down before me.

Do you think John 5:11 originally had "and said to them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "and said to them."

John 5:11 - He answered and said to them, "He who made me well has said to me, 'Take up your mattress and walk!' ”
and said to them - these words are part of the reading of the Aramean Peshitta, but they are missing from the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 22:19
And he answered and said unto them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take thy bed, and walk.

Do you think John 5:14 originally had "than before"/"than the first"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "than before"/"than the first."

John 5:14 - Then Jesus found him in the Temple and said to him, “Behold, you are well again. Don't sin anymore so that you don't come across something worse than before. ”
than before - these words are part of the Aramaic Peshitta, but do not appear in the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 22:22
And after two days Jesus happened upon him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art whole: sin not again, lest there come upon thee what is worse than the first.

John 5:14
(Etheridge) After a time Jeshu found him in the temple, and said to him, Behold, thou art healed: sin not again, lest there be to thee that which is worse than the first.
(Murdock) After a time, Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him: Lo, thou art healed; sin not again, lest something worse come upon thee than before.
(KJV) Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Do you think John 5:17 originally had:
"said to them"?
"answered them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "said to them."

John 5:17 - But Jesus said to them, "My Father has been working so far, and (so) I am also working."
said to them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "answered them."

Diatessaron 22:25
And Jesus said unto them, My Father worketh until now, and I also work.

Do you think John 5:20 originally had:
"his Son"?
"the Son"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "his Son."

John 5:20 - For the Father loves His Son and shows Him everything He does, and He will show Him (even) greater works than these so that you may wonder.
his Son - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Son'.

Diatessaron 22:28
The Father loveth his Son, and everything that he doeth he sheweth him: and more than these works will he shew him, that ye may marvel.

Do you think John 5:40 and John 20:31 originally had:
"eternal life" (or more-literally, 'the world/age of life')?
merely "life"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "eternal life."

John 5:40 - (Still) you don't want to come to Me to have your Eternal Life.
eternal life - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta, but the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR is 'life'. Also in Jh. 20:31 is missing the word 'eternal' in the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.
explanation - the expression 'eternal life' occurs 48 times in the Aramaic NT (‹not counting the 4 times in Revelation where the expression refers to the fact that God lives eternally›). Of the 48 times, the expression occurs 25 times in the Gospel of John, such as the expression 'Verily, verily ...' and the expression 'I AM' also occur 25 times in this Gospel.

Diatessaron 22:48
and ye do not wish to come to me, that ye may have eternal life.

John 20:31
(Etheridge) but these are written, that you may believe that Jeshu is the Meshicha, the Son of Aloha, and that when you have believed you may have in his name the life which is eternal.
(Murdock) But these are written, that ye may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God; and that when ye believe, ye may have life eternal by his name.
(KJV) But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Diatessaron 54:24
but these that are written also are that ye may believe in Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God; and that when ye have believed, ye may have in his name eternal life.

Do you think John 5:44 originally had:
"the One God"?
"the only God"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the One God."

John 5:44 - How can you believe, you take that honor from one another, (but) not seek the honor of the One GOD?
the One God - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the only GOD'.

Diatessaron 22:52
And how can ye believe, while ye receive praise one from another, and praise from God, the One, ye seek not?

John 5:44
(Berean Literal) How are you able to believe, receiving glory from one another, and you do not seek the glory that is from the only God?
(King James) How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) How can you believe, who are accepting glory one from another, and you are not seeking the glory of The One God?
(Young's Literal) how are ye able -- ye -- to believe, glory from one another receiving, and the glory that is from God alone ye seek not?

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 06-07-2020, 02:26 PM