Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
===================================
Do you think John 4:7 originally had:
"me water to drink"?
"me to drink"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "me water to drink."

John 4:7 - A woman from Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give Me water to drink!",
Give Me water to drink - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: 'Give Me a drink'.

Diatessaron 21:11
And a woman of Samaria came to draw water; and Jesus said unto her, Give me water, that I may drink.

John 4:7
(Etheridge) There came a woman from Shomreen to draw waters, and Jeshu said to her, Give me waters to drink.
(Murdock) And a woman from Samaria came to draw water. And Jesus said to her: Give me water to drink.
(KJV) There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.

Do you think John 4:8 originally had "for themselves"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "for themselves."

John 4:8 - for his disciples had gone to town to buy food for themselves.
for themselves - these words are only in the text of the Aramaic Peshitta, but are missing from the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 21:12
And his disciples had entered into the city to buy for themselves food.

Do you think John 4:30 originally had:
"people"? "she"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "people."

John 4:30 - The people went out of the city and came to Him.
The people - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'She'.

Diatessaron 21:34
And people went out from the city, and came to him.

Do you think John 4:31 originally had:
"his disciples... Our Master"?
merely "disciples... Master"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "his disciples... Our Master."

John 4:31 - Meanwhile, his disciples asked Him and said, "Our Master, eat!"
his disciples ... said, "Our Master, eat!" - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'The disciples ... said: Master, eat! '

Diatessaron 21:35
And in the mean while his disciples besought him, and said unto him, Our master, eat.

Do you think John 4:43 originally had:
"Jesus"? "He"?
"departed and went"? merely "went"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus" and "departed and went."

John 4:43 - After two days, Jesus left and left for Galilee.
Jesus - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'He'.
and left - these words are part of the reading of the Aramean Peshitta, the Greek MHT and the TR, but they are missing from the reading of the Greek NA28.

Diatessaron 21:47
And after two days Jesus went out thence and departed to Galilee.

John 4:43
(Etheridge) AND after two days Jeshu went forth from thence, and came into Galila;
(Murdock) And after two days Jesus departed from there and went into Galilee.
(KJV) Now after two days he departed thence, and went into Galilee.
(NIV) After the two days he left for Galilee.

Do you think John 4:49 originally had:
"my Lord"? "Lord"?
"the child"? "my child"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Lord" and "the child."
Also, it'd be strange for the servant to refer to the king's son as "_my_ child."

John 4:49 - The servant (of the king) said to Him, "My Lord, come down before the boy dies."
My Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.
the boy - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'my child' or: 'my little boy'.

Diatessaron 6:28
The king's servant said unto him, My Lord, come down, that the child die not.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 06-06-2020, 11:41 PM