Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think Luke 23:40 originally had:
"answering... rebuking... saying"?
"rebuked him and said"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "rebuked him and said."

Luke 23:40 - But his (destiny) companion rebuked him and said,
"Don't you even fear GOD, because you have received the same judgment?
But his ... rebuked him and said - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "But the other answered and rebuked him."

Diatessaron 51:45
But his comrade rebuked him, and said,
Dost thou not even fear God, being thyself also in this condemnation?

Luke 23:40
(Berean Literal) And the other answering, was rebuking him, saying,
"Do you not even fear God, that you are under the same judgment,
(King James) But the other answering rebuked him, saying,
Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And his companion rebuked him and he said to him,
"Are you not even afraid of God? For you also are in condemnation with him.
(Young's Literal) And the other answering, was rebuking him, saying,
'Dost thou not even fear God, that thou art in the same judgment?

================================
Do you think Luke 23:46 originally had:
"my Father"
merely "Father"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Father."

Luke 23:46 - Jesus called out in a loud voice and said,
"My Father, I put my Spirit in your hands!"
When He had said this, He surrendered (to Him).
My Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Father'.

Diatessaron 52:7
And Jesus cried again with a loud voice, and said,
My Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.
He said that, and bowed his head, and gave up his spirit.

Do you think Luke 24:4 originally had:
"above them"? "'with them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "above them."

Luke 24:4 - While they marveled at this, behold, two men stood above them in shining robes.
above them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'with them'.

Diatessaron 53:1
And while they marvelled at that, behold, two men standing above them, their raiment shining:

Do you think Luke 24:11 originally had:
"these words"? "their words"?
an explicit mention of "eyes"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "these words" and explicitly mention "eyes."

Luke 24:11 - (But) they considered these words madness and they did not believe them.
considered - literally: "they looked into their eyes." ..
these words - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and the Greek NA28. The reading of the Greek MHT and TR reads 'their words'.

Diatessaron 53:38
And they, when they heard them say that he was alive and had appeared unto them, did not believe them: and these sayings were before their eyes as the sayings of madness.

Luke 24:11
(Berean Literal) And their words appeared before them like folly, and they did not believe them.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And these words appeared as insanity in their eyes and they did not believe them.
(Young's Literal) and their sayings appeared before them as idle talk, and they were not believing them.

Do you think Luke 24:15 originally had:
"Jesus came to them and walked"?
"Jesus came, met them, and walked with them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus came, met them, and walked with them."

Luke 24:15 - As they talked and conferred, Jesus came and walked with them.
Jesus came to them and walked with them - this is the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR. The reading of the Aramean Peshitta is something else: 'Jesus came, he met them and walked with them (<mee).'

Diatessaron 53:41
And during the time of their talking and inquiring with one another, Jesus came and reached them, and walked with them.

Do you think Luke 24:31 originally had:
"taken from them"?
"became invisible to them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "taken from them."

Luke 24:31 - Immediately their eyes were opened and they recognized Him. (Then) He was taken from them.
Immediately ... taken away - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "And their eyes were opened and they recognized Him. And He became invisible to them. "

Diatessaron 53:57
and straightway their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he was taken away from them.

Luke 24:31
(Berean Literal) And their eyes were opened, and they knew Him. And He being seen, vanished from them.
(Young's Literal) and their eyes were opened, and they recognized him, and he became unseen by them.
(Disciples’ Literal NT) And their eyes were opened, and they recognized Him. And He became invisible from them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-30-2020, 12:04 AM