Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think Luke 22:61 originally had:
"Kifa... and Simeon"? "Kifa... and Kifa"?
"our Lord"? "the Lord"?
"three times today"? merely "three times"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Kifa... and Simeon," "our Lord," and merely "three times."

Luke 22:61 - Jesus turned and looked at Kifa. And Simeon remembered the word that our Lord had spoken to him: "Before the cock crows, you will deny Me three times!"
Simeon - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Kifa'.
the word that our Lord had spoken to him - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "the word of the Lord, how He said to Him."
you will deny Me three times - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and of the Greek MHT and TR. The reading of the Greek NA28 reads: "will you deny Me three times today".

Diatessaron 49:16
And in that hour Jesus turned, he being without, and looked stedfastly at Cephas. And Simon remembered the word of our Lord, which he said unto him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And Simon went forth without, and wept bitterly.

==========================================
Do you think Luke 22:65 originally mentioned:
slander/ false accusations? blasphemy?
(if 'slander,' do you consider reference to blasphemy a theological embellishment in Greek mss.?)

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron refer to slander.

Luke 22:65 - With (many) other things they slandered and spoke against Him.
With ... against Him - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "And many other blasphemous things they said to Him."

Diatessaron 49:42
And the soldiers struck him on his cheeks, and said, Prophesy unto us, thou Messiah: who is he that struck thee? And many other things spake they falsely, and said against him.

Do you think Luke 22:67 originally had:
"they said to Him"?
merely "they said"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "they said to Him."

Luke 22:67 - They said to Him, "If You are the Christ, tell us!" He said to them, "If I tell you, you will not believe Me,
They said to Him - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: 'They said'.

Diatessaron 49:31
And they took him up into their assembly, and said unto him, If thou art the Messiah, tell us. He said unto them, If I tell you, ye will not believe me: and if I ask you, ye will not answer me a word, nor let me go.

Do you think Luke 23:2 originally had:
"the people"?
"our people"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "our people."

Luke 23:2 - They began to accuse Him, saying, "We have established that He tempts and forbids our people from giving the poll tax jointly and severally and says of Himself that He is the King, the Christ!"
our people - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and the Greek NA28. The Greek MHT and TR read: 'the people'.

Diatessaron 49:47
They answered and said unto him, If he had not been doing evils, neither should we have delivered him up unto thee. We found this man leading our people astray, and restraining from giving tribute to Caesar, and saying of himself that he is the King, the Messiah.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-29-2020, 01:01 AM