Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think Luke 19:34 originally had:
"They said to them"? merely "They said"?
"the Lord"? "our Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "They said to them" and "our Lord."

Luke 19:34 - They said to them, "Our Lord needs it!"
They said to him, "Our Lord ... - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "They said: The Lord ..."

Diatessaron 39:28
They said unto them, We seek them for our Lord.

=========================================
Do you think Luke 19:43 originally had "cast/build around you a barricade/rampart"?

Neither the Peshitta nor the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "cast/build around you a barricade/rampart."

Luke 19:43 - There will come days for your enemies to surround you and corner you from all sides,
that your enemies will surround you - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "that your enemies will build a rampart around you and surround you."

Diatessaron 39:40
There shall come unto thee days when thine enemies
shall encompass thee,
and straiten thee from every quarter,

Luke 19:43
(Berean Literal)
For days will come upon you that your enemies
will cast around you a barricade,
and will surround you
and will hem you in on every side.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
“The days shall come to you when your enemies
shall surround you
and they shall press you in from every side.”
(Young's Literal)
'Because days shall come upon thee, and thine enemies
shall cast around thee a rampart,
and compass thee round,
and press thee on every side,

Do you think Luke 20:20 originally had:
"the judge"? "the government"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the judge."

Luke 20:20 - They sent spies to Him who pretended to be righteous to catch Him on a word and turn Him over to the judge and to the power of the governor.
the judge - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the government'.

Diatessaron 34:1
Then went the Pharisees and considered how they might ensnare him in a word, and deliver him into the power of the judge, and into the power of the ruler.

Do you think Luke 20:34 originally explicitly mentioned "women"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron explicitly mention "women."

Luke 20:34 - Jesus said to them, “The sons of this world marry women, and women are married off to men.
The sons ... married off - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. For 'getting married' it literally means 'taking' and for 'getting married' it literally means 'given', but in the text context our translation is appropriate. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'The children of this century get married and are married off'. Incidentally, the word 'century' is also translated as 'world'.

Diatessaron 34:17
Jesus answered and said unto them, Is it not for this that ye have erred, because ye know not the scriptures, nor the power of God?
And the sons of this world take wives, and the women become the men's;

Do you think Luke 20:35 originally explicitly mentioned "women"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron explicitly mention "women."

Luke 20:35 - But those who are worthy of that world and the resurrection from the abode of the dead do not themselves marry (marry), nor will women belong to men.
do not take women ... and neither will men belong to women - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: "Will not marry and will not be married off."

Diatessaron 34:18
but those that have become worthy of that world, and the resurrection from among the dead, do not take wives, and the women also do not become the men's.

Luke 20:43 didn't make it into the Diatessaron.

Luke 20:43 - until I put your enemies under your feet."
your enemies under your feet - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "Your enemies into a footstool under your feet ..." The quotation from Ps. 110:1 occurs 7 times in the NT namely in Mt. 22:44, Mk. 12:36, Lk. 20:43, Hd. 2:35, Heb. 1:13, Heb. 10:13 and 1 Cor. 15:25. Bauscher writes about this that in 4 of the 7 cases the text of the Peshitta does not correspond to that of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR and in 3 cases it does. In one case the Aramaic NT of the Peshitta corresponds to the Hebrew OT (‹the Tanakh›) and to the Aramaic OT of the Peshitta and also to the LXX, namely in Hd. 2:35 where the lectures are all similar. On further investigation, the Greek text appears to be a translation of Aramaic rather than the other way around.

Do you think "I AM" belongs anywhere in the NT, and if so, where?

Luke 21:8 - He said to them, "Be careful not to be tempted, for many will come in My Name and say, 'I AM the Christ!' and 'The time has come!' Don't go after them.
against them - this text is all in the reading of the Aramean Peshitta.
I-AM - in Aramaic the text is: 'Ena Na', an Aramaic idiom that is used in 97% of the 147 occurrences of the words in the Aramaic OT, to indicate the 'signature' of GOD as in: 'I AM the LORD', 'I AM the First and the Last', 'I AM GOD' and others. In the Greek NA28, MHT and TR we find here 'ego eimi' that has no 'idiomatic charge'. With the idiom "Ena Na", the Peshitta gains expression in verses such as Jh. 8:24, 6:51 and all the 24 I AM statements we find in the NT.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-27-2020, 02:25 AM