Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think Luke 19:4 originally had "Jesus"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus."

Luke 19:4 - (Therefore) he ran before Jesus and climbed into a wild fig tree to see Him, for He was going to pass by.
Jesus - the name is only part of the text of the Aramean Peshitta, but not of the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR which reads 'he ran forward'.

Diatessaron 31:18
And he hastened, and went before Jesus, and went up into an unripe fig tree to see Jesus: for he was to pass thus.

=========================================
Do you think Luke 19:5 originally had "saw him"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "saw him."

Luke 19:5 - When Jesus arrived at that place, He looked up and saw him. He said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down quickly, for I must be in your house today!"
saw him - these words are part of the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and the Greek MHT and TR, but they do not appear in the reading of the Greek NA28.

Diatessaron 31:19
And when Jesus came to that place, he saw him, and said unto him, Make haste, and come down, Zacchaeus: to-day I must be in thy house.

Do you think Luke 19:8 originally had:
"Jesus"? "the Lord"? (if 'Jesus,' do you consider 'the Lord' a theological embellishment in Greek mss.?)
Did Zacchaeus say: "my Lord"? merely "Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus" and "my Lord."

Luke 19:8 - Zacchaeus rose and said to Jesus, "Behold, my Lord, I give half of my possessions to the poor, and every one that I have taken I will pay fourfold!"
Jesus - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Lord'.
my Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. In the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR it says: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 31:22
So Zacchaeus stood, and said unto Jesus, My Lord, now half of my possessions I give to the poor, and what I have unjustly taken from every man I give him fourfold.

When Jesus spoke what became Luke 19:17, do you think he literally said:
"in small/ in a little"?
"in the least"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "in small/ in a little" (which is an Aramaic way of saying "in the least").

Luke 19:17 - He said to him, "Well done, good servant. Because you in little proved to be reliable, you will be ruler of ten cities."
in little - literally: 'in small', after the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'in the least'.

Diatessaron 31:42
The king said unto him, Thou good and faithful servant, who hast been found faithful in a little, be thou set over ten districts.

Do you think Luke 19:18 originally had:
"my lord"? merely "lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my lord."

Luke 19:18 - The second came and said, "My lord, your pound has made five pounds."
My lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'lord'.

Diatessaron 31:43
And the second came, and said, My lord, thy portion hath gained five portions.

Do you think Luke 19:20 originally had:
"my lord"? merely "lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my lord."

Luke 19:20 - And another came and said, "My lord, behold, here is your pound which I have put in a fine linen cloth.
My lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'lord'.

Diatessaron 31:45
And another came, and said, My lord, here is thy portion, which was with me laid by in a napkin:

Do you think Luke 19:25 originally had:
"our lord"? merely "lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "our lord."

Luke 19:25 - They said to him, "Our Lord, he has (already) ten pounds?"
Our Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 31:50
They said unto him, Our lord, he hath ten shares.

Do you think Luke 19:26 originally had:
"he said to them"?
"I say to you"?

Do you think Luke 19:26's "to every one...." was said by:
the lord in Jesus' parable?
Jesus toward the crowd hearing his parable, in answer to a question from the crowd?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "he said to them."

Luke 19:26
(Etheridge) He saith to them, I tell you, that to every one who hath (it) shall be given; and from him who hath not, that also which he hath shall be taken.
(Murdock) He said to them: I tell you, that to every one that hath, will be given; and from him that hath not, even what he hath will be taken away.
(KJV) For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.

Diatessaron 31:51
He said unto them, I say unto you, Every one that hath shall be given unto; and he that hath not, that which he hath also shall be taken from him.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-26-2020, 02:50 PM