Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think Luke 16:15 originally had:  "Jesus"? "He"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus."

Luke 16:15 - Jesus said to them, “You justify yourself to men, but GOD knows your hearts, because what is highly regarded by men is an abomination to GOD.
       Jesus - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'He'.

Diatessaron 29:13
And Jesus knew what was in their hearts, and said unto them, Ye are they that justify yourselves before men; while God knows your hearts: the thing that is lofty with men is base before God.

=======================================
Do you think Luke 16:24 originally had:
"loud voice"?  merely "voice"?
"wet/moisten my tongue"?  "cool my tongue"?
"my father Abraham"?  merely "father Abraham"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "loud voice," "wet/moisten my tongue," and "my father Abraham."

Luke 16:24 - He cried aloud, "Father Abraham, have mercy on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water to wet my tongue, for I am in pain in this flame(s). "
       loud - literally: 'with a loud voice', after the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. In the reading of the Greek MHT and TR it says: "He called and said".
       to immerse - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'to cool down'.

Diatessaron 29:19
And he called with a loud voice, and said, My father Abraham, have mercy upon me, and send Lazarus to wet the tip of his finger with water, and moisten my tongue for me; for, behold, I am burned in this flame.

Luke 16:24 
(Berean Literal) And having cried out, he said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus, that he might dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am suffering in this flame.'
(Young's Literal) and having cried, he said, Father Abraham, deal kindly with me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and may cool my tongue, because I am distressed in this flame.
(KJV) And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) "And he called in a loud voice and he said, 'My father, Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazar to dip the tip of his finger in water and moisten my tongue for me; behold, I am suffering in this flame.' "
(Etheridge) And he cried with a high voice, and said, My father Abraham, have compassion upon me, and send Loózar, that he may dip the top of his finger in waters, and moisten my tongue; for, behold, I am tormented in this flame.
(Murdock) And he called with a loud voice, and said: Abraham, my father, have pity on me; and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and moisten my tongue; for, lo, I am tormented in this flame.
(APNT) And he cried with a loud voice and said, ‘My father Abraham, have compassion on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and to moisten my tongue for me, for, behold, I am tormented in this flame.’

Do you think Luke 16:30 originally had:  "my father"?  simply "father"? 

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my father."

Luke 16:30 - But he said, "No, my father Abraham, if any of the dead go to them, they will repent!"
       my father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'father'.

Diatessaron 29:25
He said unto him, Nay, my father Abraham: but let a man from the dead go unto them, and they will repent.

Do you think Luke 16:31 originally had:
"they will not believe him"?
"they will not be convinced"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "they will not believe him."

Luke 16:31 - Abraham said to him, "If they do not listen to Moses and the prophets, they will not believe in him, even though someone rose from the dead!"”
       they will not believe in him either - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'they will not be convinced either'.

Diatessaron 29:26
Abraham said unto him, If they listen neither to Moses nor to the prophets, neither if a man from the dead rose would they believe him.

Do you think Luke 17:6 originally had:  
"He said"?  "the Lord said"?
(if 'He said':  do you consider "the Lord said" a theological embellishment in Greek mss.?)

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "He said."

Luke 17:6 - He said to them, "If you had faith like a mustard seed, you would say to this mulberry tree, 'Get uprooted and planted in the sea!' And he would obey you."
       He said to them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. ....

Diatessaron 33:10
He said unto them, If there be in you faith like a grain of mustard, ye shall say to this fig tree, Be thou torn up, and be thou planted in the sea; and it will obey you. 

Luke 17:6
(Berean Literal) And the Lord said, "If you have faith like a grain of mustard, you would have said to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and be planted in the sea,' and it would have obeyed you.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) He said to them, “If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you may say to this sycamore tree, 'Be uprooted and be planted in the sea', and it would obey you.”
(Young's Literal) and the Lord said, 'If ye had faith as a grain of mustard, ye would have said to this sycamine, Be uprooted, and be planted in the sea, and it would have obeyed you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-25-2020, 09:04 PM