Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think Luke 15:6 originally had:
"calls his friends and neighbors"?
"calls his friends and neighbors together"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "calls his friends and neighbors."

Luke 15:6 - When he comes home, he calls his friends and neighbors and says to them, "Rejoice with me, because I have found my lost sheep!"
he cries - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. In the Greek NA28, MHT and TR the lecture reads: 'he calls ... together'.

Diatessaron 26:6
and bring it to his house, and call his friends and neighbours, and say unto them, Rejoice with me, since I have found my straying sheep.

=======================================
Do you think Luke 15:12 originally had:
"said to him, My father"?
"said to his father: Father"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "said to him, My father."

Luke 15:12 - The youngest of them said to him, "My father, give me the inheritance of your property that is due to me!" (Then) (the father) divided his property among them.
said to him: My father ... - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "said to his father: Father, ..."

Diatessaron 26:13
A man had two sons: and the younger son said unto him, My father, give me my portion that belongeth to me of thy goods. And he divided between them his property.

Do you think Luke 15:21 originally had:
"I am not worthy"?
"I am no longer worthy"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "I am not worthy."

Luke 15:21 - His son said to him, "My father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am not worthy to be called your son. "
not worth it - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'no longer worth it'.

Diatessaron 26:22
And his son said unto him, My father, I have sinned in heaven and before thee, and am not worthy to be called thy son.

Do you think Luke 15:22 originally had:
"Get the best robe quickly"?
"Get the best robe"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Get the best robe."
(The Diatessaron's "Bring forth a stately robe" more-literally reproduces an Aramaic way of saying "Bring forth the best robe.")

Luke 15:22 - But the father said to his servants, 'Pick up the best robe and dress it with it, put a ring on his hand and put on sandals.
Get the best robe - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and the Greek MHT and TR. The reading of the Greek NA28 reads: "Get the best robe quickly!"

Diatessaron 26:23
His father said unto his servants, Bring forth a stately robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and put on him shoes on his feet:

Do you think Luke 15:23 originally had:
"Get the fattened ox and slaughter it"?
"Get and slaughter the fattened ox"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Get and slaughter the fattened ox."

Luke 15:23 - Get the fattened ox and slaughter it. Let us eat and be merry,
Get ... and slaughter it - this is the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR. The reading of the Aramean Peshitta reads: 'Get and slaughter the fattened ox'.

Diatessaron 26:24
and bring and slay a fatted ox, that we may eat and make merry:

Do you think Luke 15:25 originally had:
"he heard music and dancing"?
"he heard the sound of many singing"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "he heard the sound of many singing."

Luke 15:25 - But his oldest son was on the field. When he came and approached the house, he heard many people singing.
heard many people sing - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The lecture of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'music and dance'.

Diatessaron 26:26
Now his eider son was in the field; and when he came and drew near to the house, he heard the sound of many singing. And he called one of the lads, and asked him what this was.

Luke 15:25
(Berean Literal) And his elder son was in the field, and while coming up, he drew near to the house; he heard music and dancing.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) But his older son was in the field and as he came, he approached the house and he heard the sound of many people singing.
(Young's Literal) 'And his elder son was in a field, and as, coming, he drew nigh to the house, he heard music and dancing,

Do you think Luke 16:6 originally had:
"Fifty measures"?
merely "Fifty"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Fifty measures."

Luke 16:6 - He replied, "A hundred measures of oil!" (Then) he said to him: "Take your debt, sit down quickly and write: Fifty bars."
He replied - literally, "He said to him."
bars - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta, where the word 'matryan' is used. In the Greek NA28, MHT and TR we read 'bath', a measure that we also encounter in the OT. A bath is a measure of liquids, while the 'efa' was originally a measure of solids. Both the 'efa' and the 'bath' are 22 liters, but others speak of 35 liters or even more. The word βατους (batbatos›) is taken from the Hebrew word 'bath' which is usually translated in this verse as: 'vessels'. But essentially it is not a Greek word, nor does it appear anywhere else, not even in the LXX. Moreover, in the Greek NT, the word occurs only in this verse, and the well-known Jewish historian Josephus uses the Greek word only when explaining this verse. In the Greek NA28, MHT and TR that word is missing after the word 'Fifty', while we do find the word 'measures' in the Aramean Peshitta.
debt - literally: 'your book' or: 'your notebook'. Only in the Greek NA28 is this word in the plural.

Diatessaron 26:39
And he called one after another of his lord's debtors, and said to the first, How much owest thou my lord? He said unto him, An hundred portions of oil. He said unto him, Take thy writing, and sit down, and write quickly fifty portions.

Do you think Luke 16:9 originally had:
"finished/ spent/ exhausted"? "short"?
"their tents"? "the tents"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "finished/ spent/ exhausted" and "their tents."

Luke 16:9 - I also say to you, "Make yourself friends with this money of iniquity, that when it is finished, they will receive you in their eternal tents." ”
when it is finished - in the Aramean Peshitta it literally says: 'when it is spent'. The reading of the Greek MHT and TR reads "when it is short" or "when you are short."
their ... tents - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The lecture of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the ... tents.'

Diatessaron 26:42
And I also say unto you, Make unto yourselves friends with the wealth of this unrighteousness; so that, when it is exhausted, they may receive you into their tents for ever.

Do you think Luke 16:14 originally had "because"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "because."

Luke 16:14 - When the Pharisees heard all this, they mocked Him because they loved money.
because they ... ' - this text is part of the Aramaic Peshitta, but is missing from the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 29:12
And when the Pharisees heard all this, because of their love for wealth they scoffed at him.

Luke 16:14
(Berean Literal) Now the Pharisees, being lovers of money, were listening to all these things, and they were ridiculing Him.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) But when the Pharisees heard all these things, they were mocking him because they loved money.
(Young's Literal) And also the Pharisees, being lovers of money, were hearing all these things, and were deriding him,

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-25-2020, 02:46 PM