Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think Luke 8:46 originally had: "Jesus said"? "He said"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "He said."

Luke 8:46 - (But) Jesus said, "Someone touched Me, for I have noticed that power has gone out from Me."
Jesus said - this is the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR. The reading of the Aramean Peshitta reads: 'He said'.

Diatessaron 12:18
And he said, Some one approached unto me; and I knew that power went forth from me.

==============================================
Do you think Luke 8:48 originally had:
"has given you Life"?
"has saved you"?
(if 'has given you Life': do you think 'has saved you' is a theological embellishment in Greek mss.?)

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "has given you Life."

Luke 8:48 - He said to her, “Take heart, my daughter, your faith has given you Life. Go in peace! "
has given you life - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "Your faith has saved you."

Diatessaron 12:21
And Jesus said unto her, Be of good courage, daughter; thy faith hath made thee alive; depart in peace, and be whole from thy plague.

Do you think Luke 8:50 originally had:
"and said to the girl's father"?
"and answered him"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "and said to the girl's father."

Luke 8:50 - But Jesus heard and said to the girl's father, "Fear not, only believe, and she will live!"
said to the girl's father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads simply: "and answered him".

Diatessaron 12:23
But Jesus heard, and said unto the father of the maid, Fear not: but believe only, and she shall live.

Do you think Luke 9:14 originally had:
"Jesus said to them"?
"He said to his disciples"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus said to them."

Luke 9:14 - Because there were about five thousand men. (But) Jesus said to them, "Sit them down in groups of fifty!"
Jesus said to them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshi:tta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "He said to his disciples."

Diatessaron 18:36
Jesus said unto them, Arrange all the people that they may sit down on the grass, fifty people in a company.

There isn't a discussion of any Luke 7:48 variants in the Luke PDF at
http://www.willker.de/wie/TCG/
The closest is below.
How would you render Luke 7:47?

TVU 117
Minority reading:
NA28 Luke 7:47 ....
D: ....
d: ....
e: ....
Propter quod dico tibi: Remittentur illi peccata
cui autem pusillum dimittuntur, diligit modicum.
Ephrem: 45 You did not kiss me, but she has not ceased kissing my feet from the
moment she entered. 47 Wherefore her many sins are sorgive her.
The one who is sorgive little loves little.
POxy 4009: ....
B: no umlaut
Compare next verse 48:
NA28 Luke 7:48 ....
The verse is problematic:
"Therefore I tell you, forgiven are her sins, which were many, because she did
love much. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little."
These words do not really fit to the preceding parable. In the parable love is the
_result_ of the forgiveness. By contrast in verse 47 the woman is forgiven _because_
she did love much.
The omission of .... is probably an attempt to overcome this problem.
Ephrem, in his commentary, is abbreviating the verses, e.g. is he omitting verse
46, also. Thus it is uncertain, what he read in his Diatessaron. At least he is not
citing "because she did love much". The Arabic reads the full form.

Diatessaron 15:9 (Aramaic to Arabic to English)
And for this, I say unto thee, Her many sins are forgiven her, because she loved much; for he to whom little is forgiven loveth little.

Luke 7:47 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
Therefore I say to you, Her many sins are forgiven her, for she loved much. But whoever is forgiven little, loves little. "

Luke 7:47 (based on Younan: Aramaic to English)
For I say this to you:
because her sins that are forgiven her are many,
she has loved much.
But he that is forgiven little,
him loves little."

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-24-2020, 01:22 AM