Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
When Lk 2:9 was originally written, did it read:
"angel of God... glory of the Lord"?
"angel of the Lord... glory of the Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "angel of God... glory of the Lord."

Is "feared a great fear" something a native Greek speaker would write?

Luke 2:9 - And behold, [the Angel of GOD] stood with them,
and the glory of the LORD shone upon them,
and they were very much afraid.
from GOD - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'from the Lord' (‹Kurios›).
they were very much afraid - literally, "they were afraid with great fear." The question is whether this is a Greek way of speaking. This way of speaking is common in Aramaic and Hebrew.

Luke 2:9 (YLT)
and lo, a messenger of the Lord stood over them,
and the glory of the Lord shone around them,
and they feared a great fear.

Luke 2:9 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
And behold, the Angel of God came to them
and the glory of THE LORD JEHOVAH shone upon them
and they were greatly afraid;

Diatessaron 2:17
And behold, the angel of God came unto them,
and the glory of the Lord shone upon them;
and they were greatly terrified.

When Lk 2:10 was originally written, did it read:
"all the world"?
"all the people"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "all the world."

Luke 2:10 - [The Angel] said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I declare your great joy, which will be for all the world.
for all the world - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'for all the people' (‹Gr. laos - λαός = people›). The strange thing is that the more universal reading: "for all the world" is not found in Greek, but in Aramaic. That is difficult to understand if one starts from the view that GOD turned to the whole world through Greek in particular.

Luke 2:10
(Murdock) And the angel said to them: Fear not; for, behold I announce to you great joy, which will be to all the world.
(KJV) And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

Diatessaron 2:18
And the angel said unto them, Be not terrified; for I bring you tidings of great joy which shall be to the whole world;

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-16-2020, 03:44 PM