Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think "behold" belongs in Mt 28:11?

Neither the Peshitta nor the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have it.

Matthew 28:11 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
As they went (on their way), some of the guards (from the grave) came to the city and told the chief priests everything that had happened.
- in the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR it says 'see!'.

Diatessaron 53:25
And on the First-day on which he rose, he appeared first unto Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons. And some of those guards came to the city, and informed the chief priests of all that had happened.

Matthew 28:11 (NKJV)
https://biblehub.com/matthew/28-11.htm
Now while they were going, behold, some of the guard came into the city and reported to the chief priests all the things that had happened.

===========================================================================.
Do you think Mt 28:12 originally had: "guards"? "soldiers"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "guards."

Matthew 28:12 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
(Then) they met with the elders and conferred with each other. They gave silver (money) to the guards, and not so little,
guards - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the soldiers'.

Diatessaron 53:27
And they assembled with the elders, and took counsel; and they gave money, not a little, to the guards, and said unto them, Say ye, His disciples came and stole him by night, while we were sleeping.

Matthew 28 (Berean Literal)
https://biblehub.com/blb/matthew/28.htm
11 And while they were going, behold, some of the guard, having gone into the city, reported to the chief priests all the things having been done.
12 And having been gathered together with the elders, and having taken counsel, they gave many silver pieces to the soldiers,
13 saying, “Say that His disciples, having come by night, stole Him—we being asleep.

===========================================================================.
Do you think "As my Father has sent Me, I send you" belongs in Mt 28:18?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have it.

Matthew 28:18 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
Jesus came to them and spoke to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. As my Father has sent Me, I (also) send you.
Like ... I also send you - this phrase is found only in the Aramaic Peshitta, and is not found in any Greek manuscript, at least not in the three important ones we follow in connection with the Bible translation: NA28, MHT and TR. There is a single Greek manuscript that does have the text, and it can also be found in the so-called Diatesseron of Tatian, a Gospel harmony best known in the Syrian churches.

Diatessaron 55:4
Then said Jesus unto them,
I have been given all authority in heaven and earth;
and as my Father hath sent me, so I also send you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-09-2020, 09:56 PM