Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think Matthew 25:1 originally read:
"the groom and the bride"
merely "the groom"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the groom and the bride."

Matthew 25:1 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
"Then the kingdom of heaven will be compared to ten virgins, who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom and the bride.
the groom and the bride - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. In the Greek NA28, MHT and TR we only read: 'the bridegroom'. But the Greek NA28 does mention in its notes that there are Greek manuscripts that have the same reading as the Aramaic Peshitta, and that is not insignificant. So it seems in the reading of the Aramean Peshitta that the groom and the bride are on their way to the father's house together to take up residence in the room prepared for them.

Diatessaron 43:9 (Aramaic to Arabic to English)
Then shall the kingdom of heaven be like unto ten virgins, those that took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom and the bride.

===============================================================================.
Do you think Matthew 25:15 originally mentioned "a third"?

Neither the Peshitta nor the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "a third."

Matthew 25:15 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
To one he gave five talents, to the other two and to (still) another one (talent), each according to his ability and immediately went on a journey.
Another one - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'a third'.

Diatessaron 43:23 (Aramaic to Arabic to English)
And unto one he gave five talents, and another two, and another one; every one according to his strength; and went on his journey forthwith.

===============================================================================.
Do you think Matthew 25:27 originally had:
"bank"? "bankers"?
"asked back"? "received"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "bank" and "asked back."

Matthew 25:27 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
You should have taken my money to the bank, then I could have asked back what was mine when I came with interest.
the bank - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: 'bankers'.
back ... asked - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads 'received'.

Diatessaron 43:35 (Aramaic to Arabic to English)
it was incumbent on thee to put my money to the bank, and then I should come and seek it with its gains.

Do you think Matthew 26:47 originally had "the traitor"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the traitor."

Matthew 26:47 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
While He was still speaking, behold, Judas the traitor, one of the twelve, came with a great multitude of swords and clubs that came from the chief priests and elders of the people.
the traitor - these words are part of the text of the Aramaic Peshitta, but they are missing from the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 48:22 (Aramaic to Arabic to English)
And while he was still speaking, came Judas the betrayer, one of the twelve, and with him a great multitude carrying lanterns and torches and swords and staves, from the chief priests and scribes and eiders of the people, and with him the foot-soldiers of the Romans.

Do you think Matthew 27:3 originally had "Jesus"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus."

Matthew 27:3 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
When Judas who betrayed Him saw that Jesus had been condemned, he regretted and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders,
Jesus - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'He'.

Diatessaron 51:7 (Aramaic to Arabic to English)
Then Judas the betrayer, when he saw Jesus wronged, went and returned the thirty pieces of money to the chief priests and the elders, and said, I have sinned in my betraying innocent blood.

Do you think Matthew 27:9 originally had:
"Jeremiah"?
"I took"? "they took"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron lack "Jeremiah,"
and both have "I took."

Matthew 27:9 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
Then what was spoken by the prophet was fulfilled when he said, "And I took the thirty pieces of silver, the value of the Precious One, which those of the sons of Israel had agreed to,
by the prophet - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT, and TR reads, "through the prophet Jeremiah," which is false, for the thirty pieces of silver are a prophecy of the prophet Zechariah (Zech 11:12). In Jer. 18: 1-3 speaks of the potter's field. In Jer. 32:6-15 speaks of buying a field but for the purpose of redemption, and the value is not 30 but 17 pieces of silver.
-Bauscher points out that there are three Greek manuscripts dating from the 6th to 9th centuries, which correspond to the simple reading of the Peshitta. The Greek NA28 indicates that there is also a manuscript called Zechariah (minus 22 >). Augustine (<according to Benson>) would also have noticed that there were circulating Greek manuscripts in his day that had no name of the prophet in their talk.
I took - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'they took'.

Diatessaron 51:13 (Aramaic to Arabic to English)
Therein was fulfilled the saying in the prophet which said, I took thirty pieces of money, the price of the precious one, which was fixed by the children of Israel; and I paid them for the plain of the potter, as the Lord commanded me.

Do you think Mt 27:19 originally had: "he"? something more substantial, like "governor"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have something more substantial than the pronoun "he."

Matthew 27:19 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
When the governor sat on the judgment seat, his wife sent (a messenger) to him to say, "Do not interfere with that Righteous One, for I have suffered much for Him today in my dream."
city councilor - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: 'he'.

Diatessaron 50:19
And when the judge sat on his tribune, his wife sent unto him, and said unto him, See that thou have nothing to do with that righteous man: for I have suffered much in my dream to-day because of him.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-09-2020, 01:45 PM