Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
When Mt 22:12 was originally written, did it have:
"my friend"? or merely "friend"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my friend."

Matthew 22:12 (Aramaic to Dutch to English)
He said to him, "My comrade, how did you get in here when you're not wearing a wedding garment?" And he was speechless.
My friend - see the note at Mt. 11:16. It occupies. v 'mine' is only in the Aramaic Peshitta, not in the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 30:28 (Aramaic to Arabic to English)
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/te...saron.html
and he said unto him, My friend, how didst thou come in here not having on festive garments? And he was silent.

Matthew 11:16 - “Waarmee zal Ik deze generatie vergelijken? Het zijn net kinderen die op de markt zitten en hun kameraadjes toeroepen,
hun kameraden - dit is de lezing van de Aramese Peshitta en van de Griekse TR, maar de lezing van de Griekse NA28 en MHT luidt: ‘anderen’. Zie ook de noot bij Mt. 20:13, 22:12, 26:50. Het woord heeft de lading van ‘kameraad’ of: ‘vriend’, maar met een minder persoonlijke strekking. Heel anders is ‘philoi’ in Jh. 15:14, waar het wel om echte vriendschap gaat.

Google translate:
Matthew 11:16 - “To what will I compare this generation? They're just kids in the market shouting at their comrades,
        their comrades - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and the Greek TR, but the reading of the Greek NA28 and MHT reads "others". See also the note at Mt. 20:13, 22:12, 26:50. The word has the meaning of "comrade" or "friend", but with a less personal meaning. Very different is "philoi" in Jh. 15:14, when it comes to true friendship.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-08-2020, 02:45 PM