Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
What's the best rendition of 1Cor 9:22?

a Dutch translation at
http://dukhrana.com/peshitta/index.php
1Corinthians 9:22 - Ik ben voor de zwakken als een zwakke geworden, opdat ik de zwakken zou winnen.
Voor iedereen ben ik alles geworden, opdat ik iedereen Leven zou mogen geven.
als een zwakke - dit is de lezing van de Aramese Peshitta en van de Griekse MHT en TR. In de Griekse NA28 ontbreekt het woordje ‘als’.
opdat ik iedereen Leven zou mogen geven - dit is de lezing van de Aramese Peshitta. De lezing van de Griekse NA28, MHT en TR luidt: ‘om in elk geval enigen te redden’, wat toch wel een heel andere betekenis geeft. De lezing met ‘iedereen’ wordt alleen in de Griekse Codices D (‹6e eeuw›) en G (‹9e eeuw› gevonden. De Latijnse Vulgata heeft wel de lezing: ‘iedereen’.

using google translate:
1Corinthians 9:22 - I have become like the weak to the weak, that I may gain the weak.
I have become everything for everyone, so that I may give life to everyone.
as a weak - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and of the Greek MHT and TR. In the Greek NA28 the word "if" is missing.
that I may give life to everyone - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "in order to save some," which gives a very different meaning. The reading with "everyone" is only found in the Greek Codices D (6th century) and G (9th century), while the Latin Vulgata does have the reading: "everyone."

Apparently a-kh-a, the Aramaic word behind the 'give life,' can also mean 'brother/comrade.'
Maybe the best rendition is:
"I have become like the weak to the weak,
that I may gain the weak.
I have become everything for everyone,
so that I may be a brother/comrade to everyone."

I recall Cain's "Am I my brother's keeper?"

http://dukhrana.com/peshitta/analyze_ver...ize=125%25
http://dukhrana.com/lexicon/word.php?adr...ize=125%25
ˀḥ, ˀḥˀ (ˀaḥ, ˀaḥā [pl. ˀaḥḥīn]) n.m. brother
1 brother Com. KetefYer.B.3 ... IduOstr 3:8.5 ... TAD A2.1 R.2 ... TAD A6.14 .5 ... or his brother or his son. IranSilLab ... BT AZ 11b(20) ... the brother of our master [i.e. Jacob] is a falsifier. (a) pl.: siblings Syr. IshNum 96:14 ... we (Moses, Aaron, and Miriam) are three siblings. (b) as the title of a functionary (?) Palmyrene.
2 kinsman, comrade Com. TAD B2.9 R.10 ... we, our sons, our daughters, our kin, and anyone belonging to us shall not be able. SamPap.4..6 ... Ezra7:18 ... whatever is good for you and your brothers † . 4QTob b4.3.5=07:3 ... where are you from my kinfolk?. TN Deut25:11 ... each and every man. PJ Deut15:3 ... you should press a gentile for payment but must drop a claim you might have against your kinsman. Tobit(Med) 11.13 chap 7 ... do you know our kinsman PN?. (a) of a non human JBA. BT Er 51a(7) ... beneath a palm tree that is supporting its fellow. BT MQ 11a(39) ... fish: he should broil it with its brother (salt or spice), place it in its father (water), eat it with its son (sauce? eggs?), and drink its father with it.
In some corpora (particularly letters) it is difficult to determine whether the reference is to an actual brother, a kinsman, or just a comrade; this is normative in the ancient near eastern world.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 02-21-2020, 02:56 AM