Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
"many direct translation references to Hebrew within the New Testament"
Do you think The Passion Translation erroneously used 'Aramaic' in these passages?:

(The Passion Translation)
https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch...&limit=500
Matthew 27:46 And at three o’clock Jesus shouted with a mighty voice in Aramaic, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?”—that is, “My God, My God, why have you deserted me?”
Mark 5:41 He tenderly clasped the child’s hand in his and said to her in Aramaic, “Talitha koum,” which means, “Little girl, wake up from the sleep of death.”
Mark 7:34 Then he gazed into heaven, sighed deeply, and spoke to the man’s ears and tongue, “Ethpathakh,” which is Aramaic for “Open up, now!”
Mark 15:34 About three o’clock, Jesus shouted with a mighty voice in Aramaic, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?”—that is, “My God, My God, why have you turned your back on me?”
Luke 23:37-38 Over Jesus’ head on the cross was written an inscription in Greek, Latin, and Aramaic: “This man is the king of all the Jews.” And all the soldiers laughed and scoffed at him, saying, “Hey! If you’re the king of Jews, why don’t you save yourself?”
John 5:1 Then Jesus returned to Jerusalem to observe one of the Jewish holy days. 2 Inside the city near the Sheep Gate there is a pool called in Aramaic, The House of Loving Kindness. And this pool is surrounded by five covered porches.
John 19:13 So when Pilate heard this threat, he relented and had Jesus, who was torn and bleeding, brought outside. Then he went up the elevated stone platform and took his seat on the judgment bench—which in Aramaic is called Gabbatha, or “The Bench.”
John 19:17 Jesus carried his own cross out of the city to the place called “The Skull,” which in Aramaic is Golgotha.
John 19:19-20 Pilate had them post a sign over the cross, which was written in three languages—Aramaic, Latin, and Greek. Many of the people of Jerusalem read the sign, for he was crucified near the city. The sign stated: “Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews.”
John 20:16 “Mary,” Jesus interrupted her. Turning to face him, she said, “Rabboni!” (Aramaic for “my teacher”)
Acts 1:19 Everyone in Jerusalem knows what happened to him. That’s why the field where he died is called in Aramaic ‘Haqel Dama,’ that is, ‘The Bloody Field.’
Acts 6:1 During those days the number of Jesus’ followers kept multiplying greatly. But a complaint was brought against those who spoke Aramaic by the Greek-speaking Jews, who felt their widows were being overlooked during the daily distribution of food.
Acts 9:36 Now, there was a follower of Jesus who lived in Joppa. Her Aramaic name, Tabitha, means “gazelle.” She lived her life doing kind things for others and serving the poor.
Acts 21:40 When the commander gave his permission, Paul stood on the steps and gestured with his hands for the people to listen. When the crowd quieted down, Paul addressed them in Aramaic and said:
Acts 22:2 (Now, when everyone realized he was speaking to them in their Judean Aramaic language, the crowd became all the more attentive.)
Acts 26:14 We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice speaking to me in Aramaic, saying, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? You are only hurting yourself when you resist your calling.’

"Notice, the sign written over Jesus was in Greek, Latin, and Hebrew. Not Aramaic"
Aramaic has been around for thousands of years. One variety of Aramaic 'font' is what most would readily recognize as 'Hebrew' script.

"I assume that Hebrew was the commonly spoken language in and around Jerusalem, and Aramaic was more common in the more remote communities that would have been heavily influenced by foreign presence"
Is 'Haqel Dama': Hebrew? Aramaic?
Acts 1:19 (TPT)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...ersion=TPT
Everyone in Jerusalem knows what happened to him. That’s why the field where he died is called in Aramaic[a] ‘Haqel Dama,’ that is, ‘The Bloody Field.’
a: Or “in the language of the region.” The Greek text is clear that the Jews of Jesus’ day spoke Aramaic, the language that Jesus and his apostles taught in. The Greek text transliterates the name of the field into a Greek equivalent for a Greek audience.

Is 'Bar-Abba': Hebrew? Aramaic?
Matthew 27:16 (TPT)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...ersion=TPT
And at that time, Pilate was holding in custody a notorious criminal named Jesus Barabbas.[a]
a: As translated from the Hebrew Matthew and a few Greek manuscripts. Most Greek texts have only Barabbas. The name Barabbas is Aramaic and means “son of a father” or “son who is like his father.” ....

Q: Do you think "the Lord's Prayer" was originally composed in: Hebrew? Aramaic? Greek?
(The Peshitta's Matthew rendition of the prayer has extensive rhyming, the Peshitta's Lucan rendition has two fewer instances of rhyming, and I didn't detect any rhyming when looking at Greek and Hebrew versions of the prayer.)

A: "I do not know if the Lord’s prayer was spoken originally in Hebrew or Aramaic"
What do you think is more likely?:
a) God incarnate composed a prayer with extensive rhyming, or
b) God incarnate composed a prayer without rhyming, and it later got reworked by somebody into a prayer with extensive rhyming.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 02-02-2020, 12:46 AM