Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you know what "the correct meaning of the word epiousios" is?

Matthew 6:11
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/6-11.htm
The bread of us the epiousion/ἐπιούσιον grant us sēmeron/σήμερον/today

Matthew PDF at http://www.willker.de/wie/TCG/
TVU 54
Minority reading:
NA28 Matthew 6:11....
"continual, perpetual" Sy-C (Sy-S has a lacuna)
"needed, necessary" Sy-P, Sy-H
M. Nijman AND K. A. Worp "EPIOUSIOS in a documentary papyrus?"
NovT 41 (1999) 231-234, Marjan Nijman wrote (Bgreek, June 2005):
"In 1998 I finished my studies in the department of Theology and Religious Studies of the faculty of Humanities at the University of Amsterdam with an Extended Essay in the area of New Testament. The topic was the daily bread in the Lords Prayer. My supervisor Prof. Dr. J. W. van Henten sent me on 6 May 1998 to ''our neighbour '' at the department of Papyrology of the archeological and historical institute Dr. K. A. Worp to check the facts on the ''missing papyrus'' because the literature I found was very old. We couldn't find any new facts and concluded it was still missing. Dr. Worp however suggested to contact Dr. W. E. H. Cockle of the department of Greek and Latin of University College London. I wrote a letter to ask whether SB1,5224 = Flinders Petrie Hawara p. 34 was still missing. At 13 May 1998 he wrote me a letter on the Hawara papyri but the letter said this papyrus was never in London. He continues ''However in fact you are in luck! In 1985 Dr. Susan S. Stephens published Yale papyri in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library II, (American Studies in Papyrology, Volume 24) Scholars Press, Chico, California. I have noted that on pages XV-XXXII is printed a Bbibliography of published Yale Papyri by Inventory Number. On p.XVI Yale Papyrus Inventory number 19 is said to be P. Hawara 245...From my own experience of the other Hawara Papyri I can confirm that the Rev. Professor A.H. Sayce, who published the editio princeps of this text, was not a very accurate transcriber, so it would indeed be desireable to check whether epiousion can in fact be read. I have my doubts.'' I had to finish my studies before september and thought it would take too much time (and money) to order a photo of the papyrus. But I was in luck a second time! For Dr. Worp told me he had received an e-mail from Yale that morning. Professor B. Porten an Arameicus from Israel was in Yale. Dr. Worp asked him by e-mail whether it was possible for him to go to the Beinecke Library to take a look. He was so kind to do it. and provided us with a xerox of papyrus P.C.+YBR inv 19. On 15 June 1998 he wrote an e-mail to tell that he and Professor A. Crislip had made a xerox and posted it. _They couldn't find the word epiousi.. in the papyrus. They read the complete word elaiou (oil)_. When we received the xerox Dr. Worp told me that _the word in the papyrus was indeed elaiou_. He also said the papyrus was definitely from the first or second century CE and not from the fifth century CE. Sayce was indeed very inaccurate. I didn't find the correct meaning of the word epiousios, but within a month I found a papyrus that was reported missing for almost a century. I finished my studies and we wrote an article on the missing papyrus to be published in Novum Testamentum. In december 1998 I wrote a letter to Bruce M. Metzger at Princeton Theological Seminary, who had been searching for the papyrus for years. He was very surprised and answered at 17 december 1998 that he had taken the liberty to send a copy of the material we found on to his friend Frederick Danker who was up-dating the Bauer-Arndt-Gingrich-Danker Greek-English Lexicon! Now you know why Danker writes ''Origen is very likely correct in saying the word is coined by the evangelists and does not occur outside Christian literature.''

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 01-25-2020, 02:26 PM