Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think "in Hebrew" belongs in John 20:16?
It's in the Peshitta, and in the by-A.D. 175 Diatesseron.

John 20:16
http://dukhrana.com/peshitta/analyze_ver...ize=125%25
(Etheridge) Jeshu saith to her, Mariam. She turned and saith to him in Hebrew, Rabuni, which is saying, Malphona.
(Murdock) Jesus said to her: Mary! And she turned, and said to him in Hebrew: Rabbuni; which is interpreted Teacher.
(KJV) Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
(Clementine Vulgate) Dicit ei Iesus: Maria. Conversa illa, dicit ei: Rabboni (quod dicitur Magister.)

Diatessaron, Section LIII
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/te...saron.html
Jesus said unto her, Mary.  She turned, and said unto him in Hebrew, 
Rabboni; which is, being interpreted, Teacher. 

John 20:16 
https://biblehub.com/texts/john/20-16.htm
Westcott and Hort / {NA28 variants}
λέγει αὐτῇ Ἰησοῦς Μαριάμ. στραφεῖσα ἐκείνη λέγει αὐτῷ Ἐβραϊστί 
Ῥαββουνεί / ραββουνι ὃ λέγεται Διδάσκαλε.
RP Byzantine Majority Text 2005
Λέγει αὐτῇ ὁ Ἰησοῦς, Μαρία. Στραφεῖσα ἐκείνη λέγει αὐτῷ, 
Ῥαββουνί― ὃ λέγεται, Διδάσκαλε.

John PDF at http://www.willker.de/wie/TCG/
TVU 320
NA28 John 20:16 ....
BYZ John 20:16 ....
Not in NA and not in SQE but in Tis! 
Byz A, K, P^C, 050, 0141, f1, f13, 565, 700, 1071, Maj, Lat(a, aur, f, q, vg)
txt 01, B, D, L, N, W, X, D, P*, Q, Y, 0211, 33, 157, L1043, it(b, c, d, e, ff2, r1, 9A, 27, 30, 35*, 48), Sy, Co, arm
Lacuna: C, 579 
B: no umlaut
Compare:  NA28 John 1:38 .... John 5:2 .... John 19:13 .... John 19:17 .... Mark 10:51 ....
A typical Johannine term. It is possible that the addition at this point has been stimulated by the previous context (19:13+17). 
On the other hand it is possible that it has been omitted as redundant, ὃ λέγεται διδάσκαλε follows immediately. 

mistranslation for Mk 10:46-52

Mark 10:46-52 (HCSB)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...n=KJV;HCSB
46 They came to Jericho. And as He was leaving Jericho with His disciples and a large crowd, Bartimaeus (the son of Timaeus), a blind beggar, was sitting by the road. 47 When he heard that it was Jesus the Nazarene, he began to cry out, "Son of David, Jesus, have mercy on me!" 48 Many people told him to keep quiet, but he was crying out all the more, "Have mercy on me, Son of David!"
49 Jesus stopped and said, "Call him."
So they called the blind man and said to him, "Have courage! Get up; He's calling for you." 50 He threw off his coat, jumped up, and came to Jesus.
51 Then Jesus answered him, "What do you want Me to do for you?"
"Rabbouni,"[a:  Hb for _my teacher_] the blind man told Him, "I want to see!"
52 "Go your way," Jesus told him. "Your faith has healed you." Immediately he could see and began to follow Him on the road.

There's a gloss in Greek mss. in v. 46 with "Bartimaeus (the son of Timaeus)."  "Bar-" is Aramaic for "son," and "bar-Timaeus" means "son of Timaeus."  Greek mss. also left out a "Timi," since the original Aramaic reads "Timi bar-Timi [Timi son of Timi i.e. Timi, Jr.]."

There's a botched transliteration in v. 51 with "Rabbouni."  The original Aramaic is here better transliterated as "Rabbi-- there's no "n."  Perhaps the Greek translator or Greek manuscript copyist was mistakenly thinking of John 20:16, where there is again the transliteration "Rabbouni" in Greek manuscripts (though even in John 20:16, the original Aramaic there is better transliterated "Rabbuli"-- with an "l" instead of an "n").

Greek mss. incorrectly have Jesus' first words to the beggar's request for healing be a brusque, "Go your way."
In contrast, the original Aramaic has Jesus' first words to the man's request be the kinder, "See."

There's a botched translation in verses 51-52, by having Jesus tell the beggar, 
"Go your way," after which the healed man "began to follow Him on the road."
In contrast, the original Aramaic much more sensibly has Jesus telling the man, 
"See," after which "he saw, and went off down the road."

Translating from the original Aramaic:

Mark 10:46-52 (based on Younan)
46.  And they came to Yerikho.  And when Yeshua and his talmida [students] and a great crowd went out from Yerikho, a blind man, Timi bar-Timi [Timi son of Timi i.e. Timi, Jr.], was sitting on the side of the road and begging.  47.  And he heard that it was Yeshua the Nasraya, and he began to cry out and to say, "Bareh-d'Dawid [of Dawid his son, i.e. Son of David], have mercy on me!"  48.  Many were reproving him to be silent, but he was crying out all the more and saying, "Bareh-d'Dawid, have mercy on me!"  49.  And Yeshua stopped and commanded that they call him.  And they called the blind man and said to him, "Have courage!  Arise, he calls you."  50.  And the blind man threw off his clothes, arose, and came toward Yeshua.  51.  Yeshua said to him, 
"What is it (that) you desire me to do for you?"
And the blind man said to him, "Rabbi, that I may see!"  52.  And Yeshua said to him, 
"See.  
Your faith has made you whole."
And immediately he saw, and went off down the road.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 01-05-2020, 12:40 AM