Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
The Greek for John 10:1-5 has 5 mentions of 'sheep' (probaton, probaton, probata, probata, probata).
In contrast, the Peshitta and the Diatesseron have 7 mentions of 'sheep.' For the Peshitta, it's
ai-n-a, ai-n-a, ai-n-a, ai-r-b-u-h-i, ai-n-h (as in: his flock), ai-r-b-u-h-i, ai-n-a.

The Peshitta used a long word for sheep in 2 locations, while the Diatesseron similarly used a different word for sheep in those exact 2 locations.
In what appeared _first_ the different word for sheep in those exact 2 locations: in the Peshitta, or in the Diatesseron?

What was written first: the Peshitta's 7 mentions of 'sheep,' or the by-A.D. 175 Diatesseron's 7 mentions of 'sheep'?
What was written first: the Peshitta's 7 mentions of 'sheep,' or the Greek mss.'s 5 mentions of 'sheep'?

Diatessaron, Section XXXVII
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/te...saron.html
[~4] Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever entereth not into the fold of the sheep by the door, but goeth up from another place, that man is a thief and a stealer. But he that entereth by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. And therefore the keeper of the door openeth for him the door; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his sheep^3 by their names, and they go forth unto him. And when he putteth forth his sheep, he goeth before them, and his sheep^3 follow him: because they know his voice. And after a stranger will the sheep not go, but they flee from him: because they hear not the voice of a stranger. This parable spake Jesus unto them....
3: A different word (lit. _rams_) from that used in the other verses; so in Peshitta....

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 12-27-2019, 04:36 AM