Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
The Peshitta, by-A.D. 175 Diatesseron, and "Justin Martyr (140 AD); Theophilus Ant. (168 AD); Athenagoras (177 AD); Clemens Alexand. (192 AD)" agree: Mt 5:44 originally had all its text.

Matthew 5:44 (HCSB)
But I tell you,
love your enemies[a: Other mss add
_bless those who curse you,
do good to those who hate you,_]
and pray for those who[b: Other mss add _mistreat you and_] persecute you,

As of A.D. 175, that verse had all of the material mentioned:

Diatesseron 9:13
but I say unto you,
Love your enemies,
and pray for those that curse you,
and deal well with those that hate you,
and pray for those who take you with violence and persecute you;

The original Aramaic of the Peshitta has it all:

Matthew 5:44 (Younan)
But I say to you,
love your enemies,
and bless those that curse you,
and do that which is pleasing to those who hate you,
and pray for those that take you by force and persecute you. . . .

From
http://www.jeffriddle.net/2012/01/textua...w-544.html
Translations based on traditional text (emphasis added to phrases omitted in modern text):
Geneva: Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies: *bless them that curse you: do good to them that hate you,* and pray for them which *hurt you, and* persecute you.
KJV: Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, *bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you,* and pray for them which *despitefully use you, and* persecute you;

Translations based on modern critical text:
NIV (1984): Matthew 5:44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
NASB: Matthew 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you

ANALYSIS:

External Evidence:
A look at the critical apparati for Matthew 5:44 reveals some minor variations in the disputed phrases but, in general, the traditional text is supported by D, L, W, Theta, family 13, 33, and the Majority text tradition.
The modern critical text is, predictably, supported by Sinaiticus and Vaticanus.

Burgon, with typical bite, chides Wescott and Hort for the “deplorable error” of omitting these phrases: “You relied almost exclusively on those two false witnesses, of which you are so superstitiously fond, B and Aleph: regardless of the testimony of almost all the other copies besides:--of almost all the VERSIONS: --and of a host of primitive FATHERS" (Revision Revised, p. 410). Among the fathers who support the traditional text he cites the following: Justin Martyr (140 AD); Theophilus Ant. (168 AD); Athenagoras (177 AD); Clemens Alexand. (192 AD); Origen (210 AD); Apostolic Constitution (3rd century AD); etc.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 12-07-2019, 04:38 AM