Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Has God made yet "a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah"? And if so, when?

Jeremiah 31 (JPS Tanakh 1917), https://biblehub.com/jps/jeremiah/31.htm
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/jeremiah/31-31.htm
31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant [bə·rîṯ - בְּרִ֥ית - a covenant] with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah; 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; forasmuch as they broke My covenant, although I was a lord over them, saith the LORD. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the LORD, I will put My law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people; 34 and they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying: ‘Know the LORD’; for they shall all know Me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin will I remember no more.

Mat 26:28 (Aramaic Peshitta NT), https://aramaicdb.lightofword.org/index....ord-search
https://aramaicdb.lightofword.org/index....ear-search
This is my blood of the new covenant [D'DITQA - of the covenant] that is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"The GOD of Yisrael (Judaism)--Takes NO form"
Do you think God has the ability to take on the appearance of a human, should he want to?
Do you think God has ever taken on the appearance of a human?

Did God wrestle with Jacob aka Israel? If 'no,' with who or what did Jacob wrestle?
Genesis 32 quotes Jacob as saying, "for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." Was Jacob misquoted in Genesis 32? Was Jacob accurately quoted, while he was mistaken in thinking that he'd [Jacob]"seen God face to face"?

Genesis 32 (JPS Tanakh 1917), https://biblehub.com/jps/genesis/32.htm
25 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. 26 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob’s thigh was strained, as he wrestled with him. 27 And he said: ‘Let me go, for the day breaketh.’ And he said: ‘I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.’ 28 And he said unto him: ‘What is thy name?’ And be said: ‘Jacob.’ 29 And he said: ‘Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel [footnote: That is, He who striveth with God]; for thou hast striven with God and with men, and hast prevailed.’ 30 And Jacob asked him, and said: ‘Tell me, I pray thee, thy name.’ And he said: ‘Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name?’ And he blessed him there. 31 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel [footnote: That is, The face of God]: ‘for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.’

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
With who or what did Gideon speak with here?:

Judges 6 (JPS Tanakh 1917), https://biblehub.com/jps/judges/6.htm
11 And the angel of the LORD came, and sat under the terebinth which was in Ophrah, that belonged unto Joash the Abiezrite; and his son Gideon was beating out wheat in the winepress, to hide it from the Midianites. 12 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him, and said unto him: ‘The LORD is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.’ 13 And Gideon said unto him: ‘Oh, my lord, if the LORD be with us, why then is all this befallen us? and where are all His wondrous works which our fathers told us of, saying: Did not the LORD bring us up from Egypt? but now the LORD hath cast us off, and delivered us into the hand of Midian.’ 14 And the LORD turned towards him, and said: ‘Go in this thy might, and save Israel from the hand of Midian; have not I sent thee?’ 15 And he said unto him: ‘Oh, my lord, wherewith shall I save Israel? behold, my family is the poorest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house.’ 16 And the LORD said unto him: ‘Surely I will be with thee, and thou shalt smite the Midianites as one man.’ 17 And he said unto him: ‘If now I have found favour in thy sight, then show me a sign that it is thou that talkest with me. 18 Depart not hence, I pray thee, until I come unto thee, and bring forth my present, and lay it before thee.’ And he said: ‘I will tarry until thou come back.’ 19 And Gideon went in, and made ready a kid, and unleavened cakes of an ephah of meal; the flesh he put in a basket, and he put the broth in a pot, and brought it out unto him under the terebinth, and presented it. 20 And the angel of God said unto him: ‘Take the flesh and the unleavened cakes, and lay them upon this rock, and pour out the broth.’ And he did so. 21 Then the angel of the LORD put forth the end of the staff that was in his hand, and touched the flesh and the unleavened cakes; and there went up fire out of the rock, and consumed the flesh and the unleavened cakes; and *the angel of the LORD departed out of his sight.* 22 And Gideon saw that he was the angel of the LORD; and *Gideon said: ‘Alas, O Lord GOD! forasmuch as I have seen the angel of the LORD face to face.’* 23 And *the LORD said unto him: ‘Peace be unto thee; fear not; thou shalt not die.’* 24 Then Gideon built an altar there unto the LORD, and called it ‘Adonai-shalom’; unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
What's the identity of "the angel of the LORD" here?:
Exodus 3 (JPS Tanakh 1917), https://biblehub.com/jps/exodus/3.htm
1 Now Moses was keeping the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian; and he led the flock to the farthest end of the wilderness, and came to the mountain of God, unto Horeb. 2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush; and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. 3 And Moses said: ‘I will turn aside now, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.’ 4 And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said: ‘Moses, Moses.’ And he said: ‘Here am I.’ 5 And He said: ‘Draw not nigh hither; put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.’ 6 Moreover He said: ‘I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’ And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God. 7 And the LORD said....

In Judges 13:22, Manoah says to his wife, "We shall surely die, because we have seen God." Was Manoah correct, or incorrect, in his belief that he and she had seen God?
Judges 13 (JPS Tanakh 1917), https://biblehub.com/jps/judges/13.htm
3 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her:
‘Behold now, thou art barren, and hast not borne; but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son. 4 Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink no wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing. 5 For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come upon his head; for the child shall be a Nazirite unto God from the womb; and he shall begin to save Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.’
6 Then the woman came and told her husband, saying:
‘A man of God came unto me, and his countenance was like the countenance of the angel of God, very terrible; and I asked him not whence he was, neither told he me his name; 7 but he said unto me:
Behold, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and now drink no wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing; for the child shall be a Nazirite unto God from the womb to the day of his death.’
8 Then Manoah entreated the LORD, and said:
‘Oh, LORD, I pray Thee, let the man of God whom Thou didst send come again unto us, and teach us what we shall do unto the child that shall be born.’
9 And God hearkened to the voice of Manoah; and the angel of God came again unto the woman as she sat in the field; but Manoah her husband was not with her. 10 And the woman made haste, and ran, and told her husband, and said unto him:
‘Behold, the man hath appeared unto me, that came unto me that day.’
11 And Manoah arose, and went after his wife, and came to the man, and said unto him:
‘Art thou the man that spokest unto the woman?’
And he said:
‘I am.’
12 And Manoah said:
‘Now when thy word cometh to pass, what shall be the rule for the child, and what shall be done with him?’
13 And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah:
‘Of all that I said unto the woman let her beware. 14 She may not eat of any thing that cometh of the grapevine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, nor eat any unclean thing; all that I commanded her let her observe.’
15 And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD:
‘I pray thee, let us detain thee, that we may make ready a kid for thee.’
16 And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah:
‘Though thou detain me, I will not eat of thy bread; and if thou wilt make ready a burnt-offering, thou must offer it unto the LORD.’
For Manoah knew not that he was the angel of the LORD. 17 And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD:
‘What is thy name, that when thy words come to pass we may do thee honour?’
18 And the angel of the LORD said unto him:
‘Wherefore askest thou after my name, seeing it is hidden?’
19 So Manoah took the kid with the meal-offering, and offered it upon the rock unto the LORD; and [the angel] did wondrously, and Manoah and his wife looked on.
20 For it came to pass, when the flame went up toward heaven from off the altar, that the angel of the LORD ascended in the flame of the altar; and Manoah and his wife looked on; and they fell on their faces to the ground. 21 But the angel of the LORD did no more appear to Manoah or to his wife. Then Manoah knew that he was the angel of the LORD. 22 And Manoah said unto his wife:
‘We shall surely die, because we have seen God.’
23 But his wife said unto him:
‘If the LORD were pleased to kill us, He would not have received a burnt-offering and a meal-offering at our hand, neither would He have shown us all these things, nor would at this time have told such things as these.’
24 And the woman bore a son, and called his name Samson; and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him. 25 And the spirit of the LORD began to move him in Mahaneh-dan, between Zorah and Eshtaol.

Did Hagar see God? or merely an angel?
Genesis 16 (JPS Tanakh 1917), https://biblehub.com/jps/genesis/16.htm
6 But Abram said unto Sarai: ‘Behold, thy maid is in thy hand; do to her that which is good in thine eyes.’ And Sarai dealt harshly with her, and she fled from her face. 7 And *the angel of the LORD* found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur. 8 And he said: ‘Hagar, Sarai’s handmaid, whence camest thou? and whither goest thou?’ And she said: ‘I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai.’ 9 And the angel of the LORD said unto her: ‘Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.’ 10 And *the angel of the LORD said unto her: ‘I will greatly multiply thy seed,* that it shall not be numbered for multitude. 11 And the angel of the LORD said unto her: ‘Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son; and thou shalt call his name Ishmael [footnote: That is, God heareth], because the LORD hath heard thy affliction. 12 And he shall be a wild ass of a man: his hand shall be against every man, and every man’s hand against him; and he shall dwell in the face of all his brethren.’ 13 And she called the name of the LORD that spoke unto her, Thou art [footnote: Heb. El roi] a God of seeing; for she said: *‘Have I even here seen Him that seeth Me?’* 14 Wherefore the well was called Beer-lahai-roi [footnote: That is, The well of the Living One who seeth me]; behold, it is between Kadesh and Bered. 15 And Hagar bore Abram a son; and Abram called the name of his son, whom Hagar bore, Ishmael. 16 And Abram was fourscore and six years old, when Hagar bore Ishmael to Abram.

In Genesis 22:11+, did God talk to Abraham? or merely an angel?
Genesis 22 (JPS Tanakh 1917), https://biblehub.com/jps/genesis/22.htm
1 And it came to pass after these things, that *God* did prove Abraham, and *said unto him: ‘Abraham’;* and he said: ‘Here am I.’ 2 And He said: ‘Take now thy son, thine only son, whom thou lovest, even Isaac, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt-offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.’ ....
10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. 11 And *the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven,* and said: ‘Abraham, Abraham.’ And he said: ‘Here am I.’ 12 And he said: ‘Lay not thy hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him; for now I know that thou art a God-fearing man, seeing *thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son, from Me.’*
13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in the thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt-offering in the stead of his son. 14 And Abraham called the name of that place Adonai-jireh [footnote: That is, The LORD seeth]; as it is said to this day: ‘In the mount where the LORD is seen.’ 15 And *the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham a second time out of heaven, 16 and said: ‘By Myself have I sworn, saith the LORD,* because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son, 17 that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the seashore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; 18 and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because *thou hast hearkened to My voice.’*

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 03-24-2019, 06:14 PM