Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Zechariah 13:6 (NKJV)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...rsion=NKJV
And one will say to him, ‘What are these wounds between your [a]arms?’
Then he will answer, ‘Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.’
Footnotes: Or hands

Zechariah 13 (Brenton Septuagint Translation)
https://biblehub.com/sep/zechariah/13.htm
4 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the prophets shall be ashamed every one of his vision when he prophesies; and they shall clothe themselves with a garment of hair, because they have lied. 5 And one shall say, I am not a prophet, for I am a tiller of the ground, for a man brought me up thus from my youth. 6 And I will say to him, What are these wounds between thine hands? and he shall say, Those with which I was wounded in my beloved house.
7 Awake, O sword, against my shepherds, and against the man who is my citizen, saith the Lord Almighty: smite the shepherds, and draw out the sheep: and I will bring mine hand upon the little ones.
8 And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts thereof shall be cut off and perish; but the third shall be left therein.
9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, and I will try them as silver is tried, and I will prove them as gold is proved: they shall call upon my name, and I will hear them, and say, This is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God.

Zechariah 13:6, in the Peshitta Tanakh, _Holy Bible: From the Ancient Eastern Text: George M. Lamsa's Translation From the Aramaic of the Peshitta_ (1968), 1243pp., on 944
https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Ancien...060649232/
And they shall say to him,
What are these wounds in your hands?
And he shall say,
These are wounds with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

Dead Sea Scrolls: we lack Zech 13 material for.

"he is NOT born of a virgin" So who _was_ born of a virgin?
Matthew 1, based on Paul Younan's translation of the original Aramaic, http://dukhrana.com
22. And all this happened that it might be fulfilled what was said by Mr-Ya [Master YHWH] from the nabia [prophet],
23. "Behold, a virgin will conceive and give birth to a son,
and they will call his name Aimnuail,"
which is interpreted 'Aimn Allahan.'
[With-us (is) our-Allaha, i.e. our God is with us. The last part of Aimnuail is 'ail,' which is short for Elohim, which means Allaha.]

Isaiah 7 (Brenton Septuagint Translation)
https://biblehub.com/sep/isaiah/7.htm
10 And the Lord again spoke to Achaz, saying, 11 Ask for thyself a sign of the Lord thy God, in the depth or in the height. 12 And Achaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the Lord. 13 And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; is it a little thing for you to contend with men? and how do ye contend against the Lord? 14 Therefore *the Lord himself shall give you a sign; behold, a virgin shall conceive in the womb, and shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Emmanuel.* 15 Butter and honey shall he eat, before he knows either to prefer evil or choose the good. 16 For before the child shall know good or evil, he refuses evil, to choose the good; and the land shall be forsaken which thou art afraid of because of the two kings.

_A New English Translation of the Septuagint,_ PDF 33 Esaias, tr. Moisés Silva
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/
10 And the Lord spoke further to Achaz, saying, 11 Ask for yourself a sign of the Lord your God, in depth or in height. 12 But Achaz said, I will not ask, nor will I put the Lord to the test. 13 Then hed said: “Hear now, O house of Dauid! Is it a small thing for you to provoke a fight with mortals? How then do you provoke a fight with the Lord? 14 Therefore *the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the virgin shall be with child and bear a son, and you shall name him Emmanouel.* 15 He shall eat butter and honey; before he knows or prefers evil things, he shall choose what is good. 16 For before the child knows good or bad, he defies evil to choose what is good, and the land that you fear from before the two kings will be abandoned. 17 But God will bring on you and on your people and on your ancestral house such days as have not yet come since the day that he took Ephraim away from Ioudas-- the king of the Assyrians.”

From https://youtu.be/oxfSkpS7PUY
Contending for The Faith 4 hours ago (edited)
The matter of fact is that words, even in Hebrew, can have multiple meanings. The context then (of course), must determine the meaning. Let's just assume for a moment hypothetically there is plenty enough evidence both in tenakh and history to evidence Yeshua to be HaMaChiach of the Hebrew scripture (and of course there is, it's in fact the inevitable conclusion). Then to be able to realize the inherent Messianic or christological nature of a passage and therefore to render it in that vein, is not necessarily deceitful. For example in the case of Tovia's example of Yeshayah 7:14 vs. Mishle 30:19 when Almah can signify both in general a young woman, and also a virgin (as evidenced by the translating of the septuagint before the 1st century by jews using the word parthenos the word for the greek virgin godesss). Since the word can have multiple meanings (obviously the case with all words in general, and especially in Hebrew) then the context must determine the meaning. Since these things are so, there is no deceit, and the possibility must be allowed for, maybe the jews are wrong for rejecting their Messiah who alone can fulfill all the prophecies. If the Jews in general didn't constantly rely on the traditions of the rabbis to come to their conclusions, and just relied on the scriptures for themselves, then they would realize the truth, as millions of jews have.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"he TAKES AWAY NO ONE'S SINS"  
What's the identity of the person described below?
Isaiah 53 (Brenton Septuagint Translation)
https://biblehub.com/sep/isaiah/53.htm
1 O Lord, who has believed our report? 
and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
2 We brought a report as of a child before him; 
he is as a root in a thirsty land: 
he has no form nor comeliness; 
and we saw him, 
but he had no form nor beauty.
3 But his form was ignoble, 
and inferior to that of the children of men; 
he was a man in suffering, 
and acquainted with the bearing of sickness, 
for his face is turned from us: 
he was dishonoured, and not esteemed.
4 *He bears our sins,* 
and is pained for us: 
yet we accounted him to be in trouble, 
and in suffering, and in affliction.
5 But *he was wounded on account of our sins,* 
and *was bruised because of our iniquities:* 
*the chastisement of our peace was upon him;* 
and *by his bruises we were healed.*
6 All we as sheep have gone astray; 
every one has gone astray in his way; 
and *the Lord gave him up for our sins.*
7 And he, because of his affliction, 
opens not his mouth: 
he was led as a sheep to the slaughter, 
and as a lamb before the shearer is dumb, 
so he opens not his mouth.
8 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: 
who shall declare his generation? 
for his life is taken away from the earth: 
*because of the iniquities of my people he was led to death.*
9 And I will give the wicked for his burial, 
and the rich for his death; 
for he practised no iniquity, 
nor craft with his mouth.
10 The Lord also is pleased to purge him from his stroke. 
If ye can give an offering for sin, 
your soul shall see a long-lived seed:
11 the Lord also is pleased to take away from the travail of his soul, 
to shew him light, 
and to form him with understanding; 
to justify the just one who serves many well; 
and *he shall bear their sins.*
12 Therefore he shall inherit many, 
and he shall divide the spoils of the mighty; 
because his soul was delivered to death: 
and he was numbered among the transgressors; 
and *he bore the sins of many,* 
and *was delivered because of their iniquities.*

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 03-02-2019, 10:44 PM