Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Which Hebrews renditions below do you like better?

Heb 1:4-5 (KJV)
4 *Being made so much better than the angels,*
as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
5 For unto which of the angels *said he at any time,*
Thou art my Son,
this day have I begotten thee?
And again,
I will be to him a Father,
and he shall be to me a Son?
Heb 1:4 (APNT)
4 And *this [one] is greater than the angels* in every way,
even as the name that he inherited is greater than theirs.
5 For to which of the angels *did God ever say:*
YOU ARE MY SON,
THIS DAY I HAVE FATHERED YOU,
and again,
I WILL BE A FATHER TO HIM
AND HE WILL BE A SON TO ME?

Heb 2:6 (KJV)
But *one in a certain place testified,* saying,
What is man, that thou art mindful of him?
or the son of man that thou visitest him?
Heb 2:6  (Aramaic Peshitta NT)
https://aramaicdb.lightofword.org/index....nce-search But *as the scripture witnesses* and says:
WHAT IS MAN THAT YOU REMEMBER HIM
AND THE SON OF MAN THAT YOU VISIT HIM?

Heb 4:4 (KJV) For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise,
And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:4 (APNT) As he said about the Sabbath:
GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS.

Heb 5:7 (KJV) Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
Heb 5:7 (APNT) Also, while he was clothed with flesh, he offered petition and intercession with strong crying and with tears to him who was able to make him alive from death and he was heard.

Heb 6:1 (KJV) Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:1 (APNT) Because of this, we should leave the starting point of the word of Christ and we should come to maturity.  Or will you again lay another foundation for repentance from dead works and for the faith that is in God

Heb 7:3 (KJV) Without father, without mother, without descent,
having neither beginning of days, nor end of life;
but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.
Heb 7:3 (APNT) whose father and mother are not written in the genealogies,
nor the beginning of his days, nor the completion of his life.
But in the likeness of the Son of God, his priesthood remains forever.

Hebrews 7:19-21 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
19 (for the law perfected nothing), but a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

Heb 7:21 (KJV)  (For those priests were made without an oath;
but this with an oath by him that said unto him,
The Lord [Greek:  kurios] sware and will not repent,
Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec: )
Heb 7:21 (APNT) For they became priests without oaths,
but this [one] with oaths, as he said to him by way of David:
THE LORD [Aramaic: MrYa, i.e. Master YHWH] HAS SWORN AND WILL NOT LIE, THAT
YOU ARE A PRIEST FOREVER IN THE LIKENESS OF MELCHISEDEC.

Heb 8:5-6 (KJV)
5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as *Moses was admonished of God* when he was about to make the tabernacle:  for,

See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
6 But *now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry,* by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Heb 8:5-6 (APNT) those who minister for a type and for shadows of those [things] that are in heaven, *as was said to Moses* while he was making the tabernacle:
SEE AND MAKE EVERYTHING ACCORDING TO THE TYPE THAT WAS SHOWN TO YOU IN THE MOUNTAIN.
6 And now, *Jesus Christ has received a ministry* that is more excellent than that, as also that covenant in which he was made the mediator is more excellent. So [it is] with the promises that are more excellent than what was given.

Heb 11:1 (KJV) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Heb 11:1 (APNT) Now faith is the persuasion concerning those [things] that are in hope, as if they had in fact happened, and the evidence of those [things] that are not seen.

*transliterations + translations:  Hebrews 7:1-2*

The bottom line is that in the original Aramaic for Hebrews 7:1-2, "Mlki-Zdq" got expounded as the partially-similar "Mlka d'Kanutha," while in contrast,
the Greek version has the transliteration "Melchisedek," which it translates as the very-dissimilar "basileus dikaiosyne."
Also, in the original Aramaic, "Mlk Shlim" was expounded as the largely similar "Mlka d'Shlma," while in contrast,
the Greek version has the part-translation, part-transliteration "basileus Salem," which it fully-translates as "basileus eirene."

We start with some Aramaic vocabulary.  
Mlki-Zdq -- King-Righteous, i.e. "Righteous King," or:  "King (of) Righteousness"  [could it be 'my righteous king'?]
(Incidentally, "zadiqa" means "righteous/ just, a righteous/ just man," and "Zaduqia" are Sadducees.)
Mlk-Shlim -- king (of) peace
d'mlka -- of the kings
Mlka-d'Kanutha -- king of righteousness
Mlk-Shlim -- king (of) peace
Mlka-d'Shlma -- king of peace

Hebrews 7:1-2 (based on Etheridge + Khabouris, from dukhrana.com)
1.  For this Mlki-Zdq is Mlk-Shlim, the priest of Allaha the Most High.  
And he met Abraham when he returned from the slaughter d'mlka [of the kings], and blessed him.
2.  And to him Abraham separated the tenth from everything that he had with him.
Now his name, being expounded, (is) the Mlka-d'Kanutha;
and again, Mlk-Shlim, which is, Mlka-d'Shlma.

Note how in the original Aramaic, there's 6 instances of "mlk"/king, and 3 instances of words having the letters "shlm"/ peace, as the author of Hebrews expresses things slightly differently (in different Aramaic dialects?).

We now take a look at the Greek transliterations and translations of the passage.

Hebrews 7:1-2 (hybrid of DLNT + MOUNCE; the bracketed "his name" is the DLNT's)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...OUNCE;DLNT
For this Melchisedek [Melchizedek], basileus-Salem [king _of_ Salem], priest _of_ the Most-High God, remains _a_ priest perpetually--  
the _one_ having met Abraham returning from the defeat _of_ the basileus [kings] and having eulogeo [blessed] him;
_to_ whom also Abraham divided dekatos [_a_ tenth] from everything;
_who is_ first ([his name] hermeneuo [being translated]), basileus-dikaiosyne [king _of_ righteousness];
and then also basileus-Salem [king _of_ Salem], which is basileus-eirene [king _of_ peace];

transliterations of the Greek transliterations:
Melchisedek:  1 instance
Salem:  2 instances

transliterations of the Greek translations:
basileus (5 instances; translates the Aramaic mlk/ 'king')
dikaiosyne (translates the Aramaic d'kanutha/ 'of righteousness')
eirene (1 instance; translates the Aramaic shlma/ 'peace')

========================================
Heb 8 (KJV)
4 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:
5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord [Greek:  kurios], when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord [Greek:  kurios].
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord [Greek:  kurios];
I will put my laws into their mind,
and write them in their hearts:
and I will be to them a God,
and they shall be to me a people:
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord [Greek:  kurios]:  
for all shall know me,
from the least to the greatest.
12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness,
and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Heb 8 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English), https://biblehub.com/aramaic-plain-engli...rews/8.htm
4 And if he were on Earth, he would not be a Priest, because there have been Priests who have been offering gifts according to what is in The Law,
5 Those who serve the form and the shadow of these things that are in Heaven, as it was said to Moses when he made The Tabernacle, "See and do everything by the image that appeared to you on the mountain."
6 Now Yeshua The Messiah has received the Ministry which is better than that, as The Covenant of which he is made The Mediator is better, and it is given with better promises than that.
7 For if the first one had been without fault, then there would have been no place for this second one.
8 For he found fault with them, and he said, "Behold, the days are coming, says THE LORD JEHOVAH [Aramaic: MrYa, i.e. Master YHWH], and I will perfect a New Covenant for the family of the house of Israel and for the family of the house of Judah."
9 "Not like that Covenant that I gave to their fathers in the day when I took their hands and brought them from the land of Egypt, because they did not continue in my Covenant; I also rejected them, says THE LORD JEHOVAH."[Aramaic: MrYa, i.e. Master YHWH]
10 "But this is The Covenant that I shall give to the family of the house of Israel:  
After those days, says THE LORD JEHOVAH [Aramaic: MrYa, i.e. Master YHWH],
I shall put my law in their minds
and upon their hearts I shall write it,
and I shall be to them a God,
and they shall be to me a people."
11 "And a man will not teach a citizen of his city, neither his brother, and say,
'Know THE LORD JEHOVAH',[Aramaic: MrYa, i.e. Master YHWH]
because they shall all know me,
from their little ones and unto their Elders."
12 "And I shall purge them of their evils,
and I shall not remember their sins again."
13 In that he said, "New", he has made the first old, and that which is outdated and old is near destruction.

Messages In This Thread
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 02-16-2019, 11:11 PM