Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern scholarship
I've been scouring the forum to see if a list like this already exists.  I couldn't find one.  What's the flow of modern aramaic primacy scholars over the past few centuries?  There are some names who wouldn't necessarily be 100% aramaic primacy, but they are awfully close to it.

1800's:
Murdock
Etheridge
Norton
Lewis

1900's:
Torrey
Burkitt
Burney
Lamsa

2000's:
?

Mid 1900's to current I'm not very familiar with where the scholarship has gone.  I know that Greek primacy has always dominated but it seems like the subject can not even be brought up anymore seeking honest answers.  For example, I once joined James White's discussion board and asked what the views were on Aramaic primacy.  I was banned within 3 minutes.  I once sent Dr. Dan Wallace an email asking about the same thing.  He was generous with his time to reply back to me and very gracious with his reply but still stating 100% disagreement with the premise.

I'm righteously disgusted with my education gaining a degree at a Bible college 30 years ago.  The fact that there even existed the New Testament in aramaic wasn't even brought up.  The college also had a divinity school so there was a substantial library which I spent much time in.  No where did I come across what you can find on this present forum.  The books of the 19th century scholars were "hidden" until only recently with Google's scanning project.  I guess it's just the fact that now is the appointed time for this to be more widely known.
Convince Donald Trump about it, then it is sure to be more widely known. Smile

Also, ask the Greek primacy advocates to tell you which of the 4 or more Greek textual families are the original text of the New Testament.

In addition to my question in my first post, can anyone give some insight as to the state of this forum? It seems it was very active about 10 years ago. There doesn't seem to be many of the original moderators left who frequent the forum that I can tell.
Facebook.
Are you saying they are using Facebook? I refuse to use that thing.
Since Facebook has taken over the social media world, things have gotten pretty quiet around here.

I don't use it too much, and it is very distracting and can become all consuming.
I'm truly sad that such an important topic that I raised months ago has no answer.
(04-30-2016, 11:03 PM)cgjedi Wrote: I'm truly sad that such an important topic that I raised months ago has no answer.

Hello cgjedi, I do not have a good answer on the subject of "scholarly neglect" of Peshitta, but this has been discussed here previously. 

In my opinion lack of good published research in the 20th and 21st century from academics could be due to many factors - cultural barriers, not a fashionable subject for "degree granting" and research and most importantly - no real experts in the subject. It is a bit ridiculous to write about documents in Aramaic when one does not even know the language, eh? 
There simply are very few scholars nowadays who know Aramaic (and history) to a degree granting them any credentials to even talk about the subject. Out of those few then you need to find any who also would be interested in the Peshitta. I'm not talking about positions and titles but true knowledge and sound reasoning. That includes many who consider themselves experts in Scriptures - they simply "made their minds up" (based on others opinions) and have not put any effort to learn and research properly, so sadly this subject is of no interest to them. What I find even sadder - my experience with fellow western "fellow" christians is that getting them to read the Gospels daily is a challenge, let alone put any effort in learning languages (this can be called "facebook age" - easier to gossip about others, and give them "likes" than put hard work).

Regarding no answer to your question - I don't think that those who have been very active here have moved to other social media channels. It could be just life (or death unfortunately) and other commitments. Many questions have simply been answered in the forum already and search button would bring very good information.

Ask a good question regarding Aramaic in Peshitta and let us see if you get some attention and answers. Start your own research and let us get to the bottom of it.

I'm still occasionally checking the new subjects and wanted to encourage you to do your own research and share your findings. I will try to contribute, time and knowledge allowing.