Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Strong Possibility That Lazar Wrote the Fourth Gospel
Thank you, Sestir, you’re right – that’s a key clarification in the Aramaic of John 13:18 regarding the word ܐܠܐ (“except/but”).  It is curious though that John 13:16 sets the original context of the verse to include workers and apostles:

ܐܡܝܢ ܐܡܝܢ ܐܡܪ ܐܢܐ ܠܟܘܢ ܕܠܝܬ ܥܒܕܐ ܕܪܒ ܡܢ ܡܪܗ ܘܠܐ ܫܠܝܚܐ ܕܪܒ ܡܢ ܡܢ ܕܫܕܪܗ

--

In any case, I agree with you about John 13:18 – it isn’t dispositive one way or another on the question of who was present. 

I think the reason the gospels focused on “the twelve” was to emphasize that the traitor came from within the 12 tribes of Israel, or something along those lines -- the inner circle of 12, the immediate family.... 

Following that line of thought, I like this wordplay for “Jacob” that the Aramaic retains in John 13:18 when identifying the traitor:

ܕܟܬܒܐ ܢܫܠܡ ܕܗܘ ܕܐܟܠ ܥܡܝ ܠܚܡܐ ܐܪܝܡ ܥܠܝ ܥܩܒܗ

The story of Jacob's son Joseph and his 12 brothers reminds me of Matthew 10:36, "The adversaries of a man are in his own house." 

It's interesting to wonder too how the Messiah's house on earth may be constructed in some way with 12 pillars/apostles.

Bringing this back full circle, I think Lazar was something other than a pillar.   He was "outside" (commanded to come "outside" in John 11:43  ܠܥܙܪ ܬܐ ܠܒܪ; he lived outside Jerusalem in Bethany; there's more).

The sacrifice altar, for example, was outside the temple.  So I think that could be the spot for him, at the feet in the body of the Messiah. And when the smoke from the altar rises, it goes through the Messiah's nose (the ark), and into his lungs, which is close to his heart, Lazar's resting place.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Strong Possibility That Lazar Wrote the Fourth Gospel - by gregglaser - 09-27-2016, 09:40 PM