Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Strong Possibility That Lazar Wrote the Fourth Gospel
Quote:Technically, the gospel of Mark never states “the twelve” were the only ones present at the last supper; it just states they were present.
Good reasoning.

Quote:Logically, if “the twelve” were the only ones with the Messiah, then why would he need to use the limiting expression “one of the twelve”?
This is less convincing because scribes had a tendency to replace pronouns with proper names in order to make the text more informative and help the reader remember who was who. It still supports your point though.

Comparison of Mark 14:20b with John 13:26b:
Mark: "One of the twelve who dips with me in the dish."
John: "It is he for whom I dip the bread and give it to him."

Quote:Here’s another logical point -- the Bible tells us the Messiah washed the feet of “the disciples” (John 13:5). Then, after the Messiah sat down again, he said, “I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen”(John 13:18). Here he contrasts a larger group (“you all”), with a subset (“chosen”).  We know “the twelve” were “chosen” (John 6:70, Luke 6:13).  However, if “the twelve” were the only ones who were present, then what distinction was the Messiah making here?  We are tempted to assume these words were meant to exclude Judas Iscariot.

To get some context — John 13:17-19a:
"If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them."
ܐܢ ܗܠܝܢ ܬܕܥܘܢ ܛܘܒܢܐ ܐܢܬܘܢ ܐܢ ܬܥܒܕܘܢ ܐܢܝܢ ܀
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I have not spoken about all of you, for I know those whom I have chosen,
ܠܐ ܗܘܐ ܥܠ ܟܠܟܘܢ ܐܡܪ ܐܢܐ ܝܕܥ ܐܢܐ ܓܝܪ ܠܐܝܠܝܢ ܕܓܒܝܬ
 but that the scripture may be fulfilled, 'He who eats bread with me has lifted up his heel against me.' ",
ܐܠܐ ܕܟܬܒܐ ܢܫܠܡ ܕܗܘ ܕܐܟܠ ܥܡܝ ܠܚܡܐ ܐܪܝܡ ܥܠܝ ܥܩܒܗ ܀
 "Now I am telling you before it happens ..."
...ܡܢ ܗܫܐ ܐܡܪ ܐܢܐ ܠܟܘܢ ܡܢ ܩܕܡ ܕܢܗܘܐ

I would expect two statements that are contrasted to come immediately before and after a contrasting conjunction. In this case it is "but/ܐܠܐ" isn't it? So he doesn't contrast you all with the chosen but rather equals them and contrasts his ability to know people with the tendency of scripture to be fulfilled.
It seems the paper is better off without this argument.  Smile

Page 8, paragraph 3 "John 19:15" should read "John 18:15".

What would you say about the possibility that John son of Sebedee wrote most of the gospel book but Lazarus wrote 18:14-23?

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Strong Possibility That Lazar Wrote the Fourth Gospel - by sestir - 09-27-2016, 06:09 PM