Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monumental!
https://www.loc.gov/collections/manuscri...ac&sb=date

http://www.thetextofthegospels.com/2017/...saint.html
Some of those Manuscripts written on vellum of The Aramaic New Testament (The Peshitta), Full NT, The Four Gospels, The Acts of the Apostles w/the General Epistles, and the 14 Pauline Epistles which are sitting upon the shelves of St. Catherine's Monastery in the Sinai Peninsula as I write this, are some of the very oldest copies of The Eastern Peshitta NT and the Western version of its text that are known to be extant in our day. From the 5th,6th,7th, and 8th centuries.

MS.3 there is one of the oldest copies of The Apostle Paul's Letters that we can find in Aramaic. Look at the image of one of its pages at the link given below, where Hebrews 2:9 is seen, and see what a later "scribe" has done to the original reading of the verse in that copy! What does this tell us?
Right-hand page, 1st column of text, 10th line up from bottom, 1st word in on the line.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/amedmonaste...-ms/?sp=93

(05-12-2017, 03:25 AM)Thirdwoe Wrote: MS 3 is definitely a Western Peshitto manuscript, dated 600 AD. I agree the scribal change looks suspicious at first glance, but looking at the other variant reading of this verse, and the surrounding verses we can clearly see that it is a Western manuscript, i.e. Heb 2:8 the split word (we do see), Heb 2:9 the split word (we see), and especially the Western reading of Heb 2:16 starting at the bottom of the next column. I didn't look at all the 82 variant readings of Hebrews, (comparing the UBS with the Khabouris and MS Syriac 148), but I am sure you will find it is a Western manuscript. One little test that I use to determine if a manuscript is Eastern or Western in origin is the spelling of "Israel", i.e. Heb 8:8, 8:10, and 11:22. Split words are little more problematic. I do however appreciate your post.
I hadn't checked the other places in the MS, to see what the other readings were. Thanks for the added information. Regarding the spelling of "Israel" in the text, sometimes you will find the Western versions spelling it without the Aleph's as well, but I think it is always without them in the Eastern copies.

So, what this seems to indicate is that MS.3 here is an example of a Western copy of the Peshitta text that had its original wording as all the Eastern Peshitta MS have in Hebrews 2:9. This is very interesting.

Doug, take a look at the readings of Acts 20:28 and Hebrews 2:9 there in MS.54 Smile

Look again at the wording there in MS.3 at Hebrews 2:9 It reads thus, "b'taybutha d'Alaha" which is "by the grace of God...". Then look at the UBS text, where it has "taybutheh Alaha" which is "by His grace, God". I looked at MS.54 there is the collection at Hebrews 2:9 and it reads "b'taybutha d'Alaha" "by the grace of Alaha", as well.

So, you have the western versions reading either "by the grace of God, He tasted death for everyone." Or you have the reading "by His grace, God tasted death for everyone."

Someone made a big mistake, or made a deliberate change in the way "taybutha" is written in the western version of the text.

Notice that the one way makes it Yeshua who is the one who tastes death, as the context shows, while the other makes it God who is the subject and who tastes death...

Doug, look at Hebrews 2:9 there in MS.5 which looks to be an older copy than MS.3 is. The original wording is wiped away too, and something else has been written in...but, can you make those later words out?
MS.17 looks to be an Eastern Peshitta, as Acts 2:28, Hebrews 2:9, and Heb 2:16 have the Eastern readings. Haven't checked the instances were "Israel" appears in the text yet. This MS is said to be from the 800s and looks to be nearly a complete NT.