Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peshitta what good is it?
Thanks Doug,

Is your translation work online or in print so I can look it over?

As I see the text there, a more correct rendering of the Peshitta text in Acts 13:14 would be ".... during the day of the Sabbath." "in the day" implies a space of time, thus "during" is a good choice over "on", which just indicates the day itself. A small matter, but I think a bit more precise rendering.

I have to say, Doug, that I am disappointed that you would use the inferior UBS text for your translation work, as it doesn't always represent the true and only text of The Aramaic New Testament.

Do you know that that compiled text has a number of Greek NT only words and verses added into it and mixed in with the original Aramaic NT text?

If you have an original copy of the UBS publication and not just an online text only version, you will see that it shows where this is so, and states that those verses came from the Greek NT, and are not found in the Aramaic manuscripts which they decided to use to compile their text from.

The P.A. for instance does not belong in The Aramaic NT, as it never has been in it, nor is the passage found in any Aramaic manuscript, nor should the W5 books be added in, as they are not part of The Aramaic NT either, but come from the Greek NT.

The Aramaic NT (The Peshitta) is unique, not a translation from any Greek source text; as can clearly be shown, where its text isn't derived from any of the Greek families, but has material in its text unique to each one of them.

Some Western Aramaic speaking monks, on the order of their leaders, took the original form of The Aramaic NT text, The Peshitta, and changed it in various places to more conform the text in their new version to both the Greek text in use in their lands, and to their particular doctrine on the nature of Christ.

The UBS text is not the original text of The Aramaic New Testament as it exists now and always has existed in The Peshitta. It is a hybrid text, taking most of the text of The Aramaic New Testament (The Peshitta) and mixing in some Greek NT material, and altering some of the text to suit the editors doctrinal beliefs.

If I were you, Doug, I would translate The Peshitta text, as found in the Khabouris, and other true Peshitta manuscripts, and then make notes in your translation where the UBS hybrid text deviates from it, and give the reasons why.

Doug, We have dozens of UBS text translations we can read, and they are all, to varying degree, hybrid Aramaic/Greek texts.

What I was hoping you were going to tell us, is that you had translated from The Peshitta text, which is the one and only Aramaic New Testament.

This is not to put down your work of translating, which may be well done, and it may be that you have done a better job of translating the UBS hybrid text than all the others have. I just don't see a need for yet another one of these in a long line of UBS text translations.

As of this date, I have found no single complete REAL Peshitta only translation in the English language. If you know of one, let me know please.

Shlama,
Chuck

Messages In This Thread
Peshitta what good is it? - by TruthFinder - 07-17-2015, 01:00 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by distazo - 07-20-2015, 07:57 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Doug Bell - 07-20-2015, 03:31 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Thirdwoe - 08-02-2015, 04:09 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Doug Bell - 08-03-2015, 02:10 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Thirdwoe - 08-04-2015, 03:48 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Doug Bell - 08-07-2015, 09:07 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Thirdwoe - 08-08-2015, 03:45 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by SteveCaruso - 08-04-2015, 03:50 AM