Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peshitta what good is it?
(07-20-2015, 07:57 AM)Doug Bell Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 01:00 PM)TruthFinder Wrote: ...I see little benefit of any doctrine changing or being revealed in the Peshitta compared to a Greek translation... What did they change that merit's a translation back to the Peshitta?

For the benefit of the readers, the quote from the Lamsa Introduction is:
  "Amid persecutions, the ancient Church of the East, through God's help and protection, was able to keep these sacred writings of the Old and New Testaments in the Biblical lands in Persia and India just as the Roman Catholic Church preserved them in the West. Christianity also owes a debt to the Jewish people who preserved the Word of God amid persecution and suffering.
  Therefore, Peshitta should not be confused with the 5th century Bible revisions in Aramaic and new versions which were made from Greek. None of these new revisions and versions made by the Monophysite bishops in the 5th century has ever been accepted by the Church of the East. Moreover, these bishops who left their church and joined the Greek church and produced these versions for theological reasons so that their doctrine might agree with the doctrine of the Byzantine Church, which was the powerful imperial sect, were expelled by the Patriarch of the East and their works were condemned. However, in some provinces, owing to the pressure exerted by the Byzantine emperors, these new revisions were introduced.. But when the territory was occupied by the Persian government, they were destroyed.
  Had the Peshitta been made by order of one of the rival churches, the others would have rejected it. But since all Christians, even the Moslems, in the Middle East accept and revere the Peshitta text, it proves beyond a doubt that it was in use many centuries before the division of the Church."

The theological difference involved the nature of God. The Monophysite bishops embraced Monophysitism.

Monophysitism (from the Greek monos meaning "one" and physis meaning "nature") is the christological position that Christ has only one nature, in which his divinity and humanity are united. The opposing Chalcedonian ("orthodox") position holds that Christ has two natures, one divine and one human. Monophysitism also refers to the movement centered on this concept, around which a major controversy evolved during the fifth through sixth centuries C.E.

There are a number of translations of the Peshitta which were written to agree with or promote the author's particular doctrine; Lamsa being one. Doctrine should flow from the text, not the other way around. Therefore, the accuracy of the base text is the primary concern. (I have translated the Peshitta – hopefully without prejudice. It is a reverse word order interlinear with an English translation. I am still reviewing the text. If that takes another year, so be it. One of the reasons I undertook the translation was that I might base my beliefs and doctrines on a translation I could trust.) The base text of the Peshitta has no major differences, from a doctrinal perspective, with that of most modern translations. The differences arise from bad translating and the interpretation of the text. The Peshitta is without question is the most accurate text available. Doctrine based on that text will therefore be the most reliable.

Messages In This Thread
Peshitta what good is it? - by TruthFinder - 07-17-2015, 01:00 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by distazo - 07-20-2015, 07:57 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Doug Bell - 07-20-2015, 03:31 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Thirdwoe - 08-02-2015, 04:09 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Doug Bell - 08-03-2015, 02:10 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Thirdwoe - 08-04-2015, 03:48 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Doug Bell - 08-07-2015, 09:07 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Thirdwoe - 08-08-2015, 03:45 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by SteveCaruso - 08-04-2015, 03:50 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Thirdwoe - 08-04-2015, 04:13 AM