Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manuscript order of the Peshitta OT and NT
Hello everyone,

the Greek scriptures present us with a large variance on the order of the different writings, both in the OT and the NT. recently I came across some claims that the Peshitta's manuscripts usually present themselves as Gospels, Acts, Catholics, Paulines, Revelation. Is this true, or made up, and is it consistent in the different traditions and manuscripts, or simply something that sometimes happens?

Also, "armenianbible.org" claims that "the Apocrypha was not translated, only "the 22 Books" of the Old Testament, as Moses of Khorene informs us. This was due to the influence of the Peshitta Old Testament." Is this correct, and can someone give some more details on the development of the Peshitta OT? Also, what book order is represented in the manuscripts?

Essentially, what i'd love most dearly is a book order from Genesis to the last book of the NT, and how prevalent it is among the extant evidence.

Thanks in advance

May the God of Peace bless you in His Grace.
Jesus is the one true God of the Bible.
(05-29-2015, 12:19 PM)Andrej Wrote: Hello everyone,

the Greek scriptures present us with a large variance on the order of the different writings, both in the OT and the NT. recently I came across some claims that the Peshitta's manuscripts usually present themselves as Gospels, Acts, Catholics, Paulines, Revelation. Is this true, or made up, and is it consistent in the different traditions and manuscripts, or simply something that sometimes happens?

Also, "armenianbible.org" claims that "the Apocrypha was not translated, only "the 22 Books" of the Old Testament, as Moses of Khorene informs us. This was due to the influence of the Peshitta Old Testament." Is this correct, and can someone give some more details on the development of the Peshitta OT? Also, what book order is represented in the manuscripts?

Essentially, what i'd love most dearly is a book order from Genesis to the last book of the NT, and how prevalent it is among the extant evidence.

Thanks in advance

May the God of Peace bless you in His Grace.

What I have seen is that for the Peshitta NT, it is always the 4 Gospels (Matt, Mark, Luke, John), Acts, the Catholics (James, Peter, John) the Paulines (the usual order, including Hebrews at end of the New Testament.

2nd Peter, 2nd/3rd John, Jude, and Revelation is never present in The Peshitta manuscripts.
Thanks a lot, so it is confirmed. This order is actually also quite common in the Greek, and it makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Matthew-James, Mark-Peter John-John, and Luke+Acts-Paulines.
Jesus is the one true God of the Bible.
(06-01-2015, 08:11 PM)Andrej Wrote: Thanks a lot, so it is confirmed. This order is actually also quite common in the Greek, and it makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Matthew-James, Mark-Peter John-John, and Luke+Acts-Paulines.

I could be wrong, but I think that in the Apostolic Churches, (Church of the East, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, and Roman Catholic) they always have had The Four Gospels as a separate volume, with Acts including the three letters of James, Peter, and John, as a separate volume, and then the 14 Letters of Paul. These are read from during the liturgy, with The Gospels always being read after the other books/letters are read from. The Old Testament is also read from in a separate volume...which is always read from 1st, then the Apostolic letters, then the Gospels at set time during the liturgical 
service.