Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primacy Proofs Refuted (Six and counting)
Thomas Wrote:Distazo, would you mind sharing your understanding of the origin of the Peshitta text, as I'm curious to see how it compares. I've heard some say that the Peshitta came "directly from the apostles' hands (or their disciples') to the Church of the East sometime between 80-100CE.

Thomas

Sure, I believe that the Jewish Christians, also called 'messianic jews', had the gospels especially Matthew going around (and the original was in Ceasarea) and they were used, in Jewish dialect, and who knows, probably they had it like what here in this forum is called 'old scratch'. The old scratch, is less 'syriac' and a lot more Jewish in dialect (for sure).

Paul and Luke and friends however, directly wrote in the Syrian dialect as that was their mother tongue.
Later, after 70, the Jewish gospels were 'reviewed' (details differ as I believe it) to be in the Syrian/Assyrian dialect. The differences are however, not so big, as wordplay could be maintained.

I also believe that this review of the NT letters/gospels was done very early at the end of the 1st century, they were reviewed in Edessa together thus they harmonize very much (call it a miracle), however, Aramaic was not/never translated from Greek.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Primacy Proofs Refuted (Six and counting) - by distazo - 02-03-2015, 07:18 AM