Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primacy Proofs Refuted (Six and counting)
Thomas Wrote:
Quote:True that scatter is not the same as 'destroy'.
Still, I believe Marc 9:49 contains a wordplay which only works in the Peshitta.

Thank you, and perhaps I will be more interested in wordplays if I can get past my main objective now: but I presently exclude wordplays as solid proof for Peshitta primacy, simply because from a logical standpoint a scribe could--if knowledgable enough--invent Aramaic wordplays as he translated from the Greek into Aramaic.

As unlikely as it may seem--especially if you claim to have hundreds of examples from the Peshitta manuscript --it is still a possibility that a scribe (maybe like Luke) could have invented wordplays from Greek into Aramaic, if he knew the language enough. Consider it "artistic flair," or like targumming from one language into another.

We know that the apostles didn't quote the Tanakh (OT) verbatim in many cases, so they were apparently in the habit of targumming from pre-existing texts. What would necessarily keep them from inventing Aramaic puns and wordplays while translating from another language to form the Peshitta NT?

Again, I'm simply presenting the logical possibilities, and the reason why I prefer to analyze any internal evidence that necessarily suggests that the Peshitta came before the Greek manuscripts. I'm interested in authority right now.

But yes, if you claim to have hundreds of wordplays, please feel free to convince me and send me some in a personal message. I would be grateful for those that you deem convincing, with all sincerity. Thank you.

Hi Thomas,

Why would scribes invent wordplays while translating from Greek? Whynot into Latin or another language?

But as to your request, I don't have a compiled list of wordplays, this forum is full of it, if you use google or bing on site:peshitta.org/forum and search for wordplays.

Our Lord, uses the same intelligence and the same thumbprint when he inspired the book of job or Psalms and others. They are full of wordplays. (Again, lacking in Greek, which clearly is a translation and the Greek looks for 90% like the 'koine' Greek of the NT)

This thumbprint can only be seen in the Aramaic NT portions we have. True, these are adapted to the Syriac language (or as the Assyrian/Syrian odessa dialect) but a lot of it is still working, like for instance when Jesus said: "Do not give the holy things to dogs..." it seems to be that the wordplay ALSO says: "Do not hang earrings on dogs, nor throw pearls to swines..."
The connotation with 'hang... earrings' can be verified using the Aramaic Targum, where earrings are written this way and 'look like' holy (qudsha)
You won't find a dictionary (like CAL) which confirms this wordplay as the word for 'holy' simply means just that in Syriac lexicons, so here you have an example, where no (A)Syrian scribe would add such a wordplay which would be foreign to his own language.

About the other wordplays, if they willfully added them; I consider that as tampering with the Text.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Primacy Proofs Refuted (Six and counting) - by distazo - 01-12-2015, 09:44 AM