Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primacy Proofs Refuted (Six and counting)
Shlama Thomas:
There are four identical lists of the disciples who were chosen as Apostles in Matthew 10:1-5, Mark 3:14-19, Luke 6:13-16, In Acts 1:13 Judas Escariot is not mentioned. The first two lists name Simon the Canaanite. The second two lists call the same person Simon the zealot. There is an apparent discrepancy and contradiction. Simon the Canaanite was not a Jewish disciple. Simon the Zealot was not a Canaanite but a Jewish disciple/Apostle. The Greek New Testament has created confusion. Nevertheless the Aramaic New Testament Peshitta does resolve this discrepancy.

1) Matthew 10:5 [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0ynnq Jw9m4w[/font]
......................kananya.....washimon
"and Simon the zealot", because "kananya" is Hebrew for zealot.

The source of Shimon's surname and the reason the Zealot sect used this name can be deduced from the writings of the prophet Zechariah in the Hebrew scriptures.

Zechariah 1:14
"So the angel that communed with me said unto me, cry you, saying, thus says the LORD of hosts; I am jealous (kinayti) for Jerusalem and for Zion with a great jealousy (kin'ah)."

...and again in Zechariah 8:2
"Thus says the LORD of hosts; I was jealous (kinayti) for Zion with great jealousy (kin'ah), and I was jealous (kinayti) for her with great fury."

Understand that in English "jealous and zealous" are synonymous. The word "kananya" has been mistaken by the Greek New Testament copyist for "Canaanite". If the Apostle Shimon haKananya, as a fervent Zealot used the Hebrew surname and disdained even the Aramaic, how much greater contempt did he have for Greek? It would appear that the Greek copyist had little understanding of the First Century Hebrew/Jewish world view.

2)Mark 3:19 [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0ynnq Jw9m4w[/font]
................kananya......washimon
"and Simon the zealot", because "kananya" is Hebrew for zealot

again "kananya" has been mistaken by the Greek copyist for "Canaanite".

3) Luke 6:16 [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0nn= 0rqtmd Jw9m4w[/font]
.................tanana.....damatakra......washimon
"and Simon who is called the zealot", because "tanana" is Aramaic for zealot

4) Acts 1:13 [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0nn= Jw9m4w[/font]
................tanana......washimon
"and Simon the zealot", because "tanana" is Aramaic for zealot

The resolving of the above example is straightforward to me in that the Peshitta New Testament was first written accurately in Aramaic and the Greek copyist mistook the Hebrew word "kananya" for Canaanite. The word for Canaanite in Matthew 15:22 is spelled [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Fyn9nk[/font] "cananita". This is a different spelling, as can be seen.

Shlama,
Stephen

Messages In This Thread
Re: Primacy Proofs Refuted (Six and counting) - by Stephen Silver - 01-10-2015, 07:33 PM