Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Circumcision of Christ
I was wondering if the Peshitta text might shed some light on Colossians 2.

Colossians 2:9-12 (NASB)
Quote:For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, 10and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; 11and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; 12having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

Because how is Baptism a thing done "without hands"? It is by definition done by hands. Any help? Is this something like the Greek "Te, ... Kai" thing?
I'm puzzled.
mcarmichael Wrote:I was wondering if the Peshitta text might shed some light on Colossians 2.

Colossians 2:9-12 (NASB)
Quote:For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, 10and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; 11and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; 12having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

Because how is Baptism a thing done "without hands"? It is by definition done by hands. Any help? Is this something like the Greek "Te, ... Kai" thing?

Shlama Akhi M:
Colossians 2:9-12 is referring to the circumcision of the heart, which is the spiritual circumcision. In effect circumcision of the heart is the "cutting away and setting aside of the "carnally driven heart and mind", to facilitate our partaking of the divine nature of Christ. Naturally, we are all uncircumcised in heart and mind. I hope this sheds light on your query, Akhi M.

Shlama,
Stephen
baptism is a physical act. By definition.

My guess is it's a past participle.
It's an interesting comparison, isn't it? Because he who is circumcised physically is ... Stephen King would say "diminished". Whereas Christian circumcision makes a person whole. Yeah?