Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The bandages that wrapped Jesus' head
Hello everyone-

Well, once again, if a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I must be one of the most dangerous people on the planet.

John 20: 7 (RSV):

[7] and the napkin, which had been on his head, not lying with the linen cloths but rolled up in a place by itself.

PY's Interlinear:

[7] - and the burial cloth - that - which been wrapped - had - around his head - not - with - the linen - but - being folded - and placed - aside - in a certain - place -
PY, especially:

Is there anything of interest in the Peshitta Translation here - anything? There is in the Greek, at least from Joe Atwill (Caesar's Messiah, ISBN 978-1461096405). Consider what he says:

"At this point, not "Peter" but "Simon Peter" arrives and is the first person to actually enter the tomb and, once inside, sees "the linen clothes lying" and the soudarian (endnote 111), on three consecutive lines. The soudarian was a funeral cloth used by Romans - not by Jews"

The word "soudarian" has a note to it and it reads:

endnote 111: "of note is the fact that the word the author uses for this handkerchief, "soudarian," is one of the few words in the New Testament that is neither Hebrew nor Greek, being of Latin origin."

Uh-Oh...This is what sends me to the bookstacks. Any ideas from a Peshitta Perspective on this one?

Thanks all,

Charles
The Peshitta of John 20:7 is sudra (?head covering?). It does not come from ?soudarian?. See Marcus Jastrow, A Dictionary of the Targumim, Vol 2, p. 962, re sudr, ?Lat: sudarium is a phonetic coincidence with our w., from which it differs in meaning.?

The Peshitta here comes from the Hebrew root sud, which means covering or secret. See e.g., Hebraic Tongue Restored, Fabre d?Olivet, p. 407; or Strong?s Concordance #5475. And the ra suffix in Hebrew means ?see? or ?think?, so sudra is naturally ?head covering?.

Are you looking for a secret underneath the head covering?

Here?s a clue: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://templesecrets.info/index/firsttemple4.gif">http://templesecrets.info/index/firsttemple4.gif</a><!-- m -->

Note the possible connection between Lazarus' sudra (?head covering?) in John 11:44 and Yahshua?s kryk (?folded?) sudra (?head covering?) here in John 20:7. The latter can be a play on ?fortress? (krka) where Yahshua goes after the Lazar event in John 11:54. If so, perhaps it is a clue that Lazar also went to a fortress after Yahshua?s death ? indeed, among the early disciples there was apparently mystery around this topic (see the apocrypha gospel of Mary Magdalene; there is a precedent for not accepting the witness of Mary Magdalene, which is actually integral to her story). Note too that krka also means scroll, and John 11:44 has a play on pShyta with psqyTha ("bandages") binding Lazar?s hands and feet.

For another play on lEazr ("Lazarus"), note that lEazrTha (John 11:43, Yahshua's words calling him out of the cave) means ?to the temple court.? Is this the place to which Lazar was resurrected? Does Lazar still stand lbr (?outside?) the wealthy house in Luke begging for 'food/knowledge', or is he resurrected to live in Yahshua's house/temple?

When aleph begins lEazr, then you have not only the priest, but aleph signifies the beginning of life's story. And that may very well be what Yahshua gave him: LEazrTha. John 11:43.
gregglaser Wrote:The Peshitta of John 20:7 is sudra (?head covering?). It does not come from ?soudarian?. See Marcus Jastrow, A Dictionary of the Targumim, Vol 2, p. 962, re sudr, ?Lat: sudarium is a phonetic coincidence with our w., from which it differs in meaning.?

Beautiful. I was not thinking that one word came from the other - I'm not that smart - but it's nice to see that. I'm looking at the possibility that someone who thinks in Latin is trying to bend the Greek around to match the Picture in his head. There's no Greek equivalent, so he finally puts in the Roman word.

Remember, Nicodemus helps tend to the body and Nicodemus is a "Ruler of the Jews", a ruler who recognizes the words in "You must be born again" but does not recognize the meaning of them (If the words are indeed an idiom...). I do not know if Jewish burial customs used a soudarian or not BUT there is a tie-in to the Latin that could not come from a Greek orientation since the Romans, not the Greeks, held sway in Judea. I tend to believe that Nicodemus was Roman and would have tended to the body as he knew how, hence soudarian.

Quote:The Peshitta here comes from the Hebrew root sud, which means covering or secret. See e.g., Hebraic Tongue Restored, Fabre d?Olivet, p. 407; or Strong?s Concordance #5475. And the ra suffix in Hebrew means ?see? or ?think?, so sudra is naturally ?head covering?.

Again, very nice. Looks like I'm gonna hafta' examine Jewish Burial Customs but once again, someone knows something and he ain't Greek...

Quote:Are you looking for a secret underneath the head covering?

Here?s a clue: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://templesecrets.info/index/firsttemple4.gif">http://templesecrets.info/index/firsttemple4.gif</a><!-- m -->

If this goes back to the First Temple then something from a L-O-N-G time ago is seeping into the Symbolism. I do know that in the Second Temple, the 23 Priestly Courses (Mishmarot) were on one side of the Altar area and "Bilgah" was on the other, with its Ring nailed to the floor for an offense given by this Group. This makes the Priestly arrangement quite asymmetrical.

Quote:Note the possible connection between Lazarus' sudra (?head covering?) in John 11:44 and Yahshua?s kryk (?folded?) sudra (?head covering?) here in John 20:7. The latter can be a play on ?fortress? (krka) where Yahshua goes after the Lazar event in John 11:54. If so, perhaps it is a clue that Lazar also went to a fortress after Yahshua?s death ? indeed, among the early disciples there was apparently mystery around this topic (see the apocrypha gospel of Mary Magdalene; there is a precedent for not accepting the witness of Mary Magdalene, which is actually integral to her story). Note too that krka also means scroll, and John 11:44 has a play on pShyta with psqyTha ("bandages") binding Lazar?s hands and feet.

For another play on lEazr ("Lazarus"), note that lEazrTha (John 11:43, Yahshua's words calling him out of the cave) means ?to the temple court.? Is this the place to which Lazar was resurrected? Does Lazar still stand lbr (?outside?) the wealthy house in Luke begging for 'food/knowledge', or is he resurrected to live in Yahshua's house/temple?

When aleph begins lEazr, then you have not only the priest, but aleph signifies the beginning of life's story. And that may very well be what Yahshua gave him: LEazrTha. John 11:43.

Fascinating ideas, gg.
Thank you,

CW