Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to learn Syriac for cheap or free?
Reader Alert:

Steve Caruso, seems to think that the Aramaic words that Jesus spoke in the 1st century were much different than what is found in the Greek New Testament, where the Apostles left various words and phrases un-translated...these which just happen to be near identical to the Aramaic words as found in The Aramaic Holy Scriptures, as seen in all The Peshitta manuscripts from the 5th-17th centuries.

We can be very sure that what we read in The Eastern Peshitta manuscripts text, and their printed editions, are the Aramaic words that Jesus and His Disciples spoke in the 1st century. The content and message hasn't changed, even if a letter here or there might have changed, the words are the same and have the same meaning.

What Steve Caruso is constructing over at his website there, is what he thinks *might* have been the form of Aramaic that Jesus and His Disciples *might* have used...but, he has no evidence to back up that *assumption* of his, yet, he tries to act like it is actually the way it was.

Also, It's weird, (I find it dis-honest) that he calls his website "The Aramaic New Testament", but, he doesn't even have The Aramaic New Testament presented there. It is just an English translation of an Alexandrian Greek source text, with his hypothetical "Galilean dialect" interpolated here and there, from the Greek text source he uses. It's an all Greek source text.

If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time trying to learn a hypothetical dialect, which no New Testament was written in, and which is a hobby horse of a re-constructionalist who can't be certain if it is as he has imagined it to be, or not.

I say stick with what has always been in The Aramaic New Testament, since the 1st century down to today. It's the real deal and does not disappoint.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Best way to learn Syriac for cheap or free? - by Thirdwoe - 10-17-2014, 06:37 AM