Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions from a Presbyterian
Paul Younan Wrote:The Bishop of Rome is *not* (I repeat, *not*) the "elder brother" in any sense of the term to the Bishop of Babylon (nor of Antioch, Jerusalem, etc.) In our view he is the Head of the Western Bishops, due to the organization in the Western Empire. As the Catholicos of the East is the Head of the Bishops in the Eastern Empire. Neither the Head of the Eastern Bishops is over (or, "elder") to the Head of the Western Bishops, nor the other way around.

We do not now, nor have ever subscribed to any sort of "Papal Primacy" argument from Rome. If that is what you call "co-equal" in regards to the relationship between your Patriarch, and the Pope of Rome - I'm sorry, but that is not being truthful. You are merely playing semantics like the EO do with their phony "First among Equals" answer. There is no "First among Equals", it is a logical fallacy - the type of which led to the debacle at Ephesus in the first place. I don't play Greek logic, I play Semitic logic - and "Equals" means there are no "Firsts", or "Elders." Or whatever term you want to use.

Hi Paul,

Yes, I know that it's a weakness on our part because Catholics still denied ACoE communion. But as far as I know, after 1994 there are a couple of discussion on inter-communion in case of necessity, eg. dying. I pray may that day come sooner when we're in full communion. As regarding semantic, Ecumenical Patriarchate used the phrase First without Equal. It's Moscow Patriarchate who insisted that there is no Universal jurisdiction, not EP. In my opinion Metropolitan John Zizioulas of Pergamon will be the next EP and Metropolitan Hilarion of Alfeyev will be the next MP. Both are very outspoken on full communion with Rome. I do agree that the issue is in describing what is Universal jurisdiction. Let me begin by describing what it's not. It's not submitting one jurisdiction under the Roman See. My Patriarch is co-equal with the Roman See. We're in communion because he is our older brother. This phrase is used by St. Ignatius of Antioch. During the Apostolic time, Peter is one of the three pillars of the church. This elderly role is kept in the office of Roman See to preside in love. Papal Primacy is not about pyramidal submission, no. But mutual relationship, with the Roman See at the center equally standing with all others. This we see in Peter among the Twelves Apostles with the Seventy Two Apostles. Is this a development? Yes, just as the relation between Samaritans, Babylonian Jews, and Jews in Israel. Samaritans and Babylonian Jews exist independently from one another. Samaritans are not less Israelites than Southern Kingdom. Babylonian Jews are not less Jewish than Jews in Israel. Another way to see it is within Trinitarian relationship. Between the equality and relationship between the Father and His Son. Or between husband and wife, or between parents and children. Not pyramidal primacy but relational servanthood. To be the first let him be the servant of all. In my opinion Pope Francis met this criteria, a humble leader. Co-equal with all bishops presiding in love.

This discussion I think will help you. "Ecclesiology question on ACOE." <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=290495">http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=290495</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread
Questions from a Presbyterian - by fbritorj - 09-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Re: Questions from a Presbyterian - by Aramaic - 09-28-2014, 07:52 AM
Re: Questions from a Presbyterian - by Thirdwoe - 09-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Re: Questions from a Presbyterian - by Thirdwoe - 09-30-2014, 05:45 AM
Re: Questions from a Presbyterian - by adithia.kusno - 09-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Re: Questions from a Presbyterian - by Thirdwoe - 10-01-2014, 06:53 AM