Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with translating the following passage please....
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate it - Michael
When I need to mow the lawn, I do it myself. When I want someone else to do it for me, I pay them. It's work and takes time, so I understand why they should be paid for their work.

If you don't want to pay for a translator to help you with all this translating work you need help with, then I suggest that you go to a place like Dukhrana.com and figure it all out there. And perhaps you will learn some new things while you are at it.

And please donate there, so they can continue with that great service they provide.

Shlama
That translation seems quite adequate to me. Here is how this passage, Matthew 12:36 (approximately, because I'm not using vowel pointings) reads in the original Aramaic:

Amar ena lakhun gir d'cal mela b'tala d'namarun benai nashe netalun patgameh b'yoma d'dina.

Here is the Way International's translation:

"For I say to you, that [for] every idle word that men speak, they will give an account of it in the day of judgment."

The main thing I would change is just translate benai nashe more literally as "the sons of men". Either way is correct, just depends on if you want to translate the idiom literally or idiomatically.
SS2, you missed a few things in the translation there, but, it gives the general idea. We should be as careful as we can be, and if it is done correctly there is no need for the [for] to be there. Also, the reading "sons of men" is not in the Peshitta NT. Check the variant there.