Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acts 18
Hello everyone.
I was gonna Post something for godparticle but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that there was a problem. As always, the problem may lie with my very limited understanding but walk me through just a little bit.

godparticle Wrote:... lets re-arrange the man-made punctuation (not originally in the Greek) and look at the verse again, using the verse from the KJV...

gp blithely assumes that man-made punctuation may be corrected into a "more correct" punctuation that he can see. If so, then look at this, using Vic Alexander's Translation:

Acts 18: 24 - 28 (Alexander):

24. And a Jewish man whose name was Apollo, who was of Alexandrian origin,* and had accepted the Manifestation and was extremely knowledgeable* in Scriptures, came to Ephesus.
25. He became a disciple of the Lord's Way, and was fervent in Spirit,* and he spoke and taught thoroughly about Jesus, while he knew nothing, except perhaps the baptism of John.
26. And he began indeed to speak openly in the synagogue. And when Acquila and Priscilla heard him, they brought him to their house and showed him the Way of the Lord fully.*
27. And as he wished to go to Achia, the brethren endeavored and wrote* to the disciples to receive him. And as he went, he was of much help in increasing the grace of the faithful.
28. For he argued eruditely against the Jews before the congregation, while he showed from Scriptures regarding Jesus, that he was the Messiah.

*18:24.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "From Alexandrian kinship."
*18:24.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Minutely."
*18:25 Lit. Ar. expression: "Simmered in Spirit."
*18:26 Lit. Ar. expression retained: "Showed him Christian hospitality."
*18:27 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression retained: "Sent a letter of recommendation."

Now, it's common knowledge that I am ignorant in many matters but I do believe I can help out here a bit. VA has the note for verse 24 as "From Alexandrian kinship" and a further note may be added: "Kinship" is a Technical Term, seen in the Greek Ordering of Herod's Court. The Greek Court was ordered as "Friend", "Honored Friend", "Guard of the Realm" and "Kinsman". There is a Post from a while back positing that the "Wedding Banquet" where Jesus tells everyone to sit at the lower end may be a reflection of this ordering: "Sit with your *Friends* and if you are asked to move to a higher position, you will be *Honored* by your *Friends* ".

The point here is that the person mentioned in the Story is a member of Royalty. He's important. He's Jewish - so it says - by way of Alexandria and is named Apollo. Go figure. Something is hidden here but this Post is written by a person who is intrigued with the Hasmonean "Alexander Jannaeus". Go figure.

Verse 25 is actually a bit dark. I withhold more comment for a while except to say that the "Baptism of John" and the "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" (Supposedly a "Superior" Baptism) should require some deep consideration...
In that vein, the name "Acquila" is a strange one for a lady. "Priscilla" as well. They are Latin words meaning "Eagle" and "Old" (As in, "This-person-may-she-live-to-old-age", evidently.). I've heard of boats named "Eagle" and "Priscilla" but I've never known a female named "Eagle". Priscilla was that nice girl I met in the third grade. Wonder what happened to her?

Let's cut to the chase
: This personage, important as a "Kinsman", says an interesting thing. Following gp's very erudite suggestion, let's drop the COMMA: "... lets re-arrange the man-made punctuation (not originally in the Greek) and look at the verse again, using the verse from the..." Alexander Translation:

"...while he showed from Scriptures regarding Jesus that he was the Messiah".

That WHO was the Messiah?

I went to a Greek Transliteration and found, "...showing by the scriptures to be the Christ Jesus". There are others. Now, I know the straight-forward Translations and what they mean. This one is awkward. Vic Alexander's Translation points to the tension here but even the Greek leaves something that must be explicated.

If the phrase "...while he showed from Scriptures regarding Jesus that he was the Messiah" is acceptable, then this might be another "Herod Story" - Herod Agrippa, that is.

CW

Messages In This Thread
Acts 18 - by Charles Wilson - 05-14-2014, 04:29 AM
Re: Acts 18 - by Aramaic - 05-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Re: Acts 18 - by Charles Wilson - 05-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Aramaic - 05-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Charles Wilson - 05-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Charles Wilson - 05-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Stephen Silver - 05-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Aramaic - 05-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Charles Wilson - 05-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Aramaic - 05-15-2014, 11:08 PM