Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
These in Bethany happened
Hello Greg,

Excellent word study, very thorough. Though I'm probably one of those who could take the other side of the argument.

It would appear that John specifically qualifies this Bethany as being the one "across" the Jordan, which would support the idea of two distinct Bethany's; the main one near Jerusalem, and a more distant one, close to 20 miles or so to the east, across the Jordan. So if there were only one Bethany, wouldn't John have just said that this "happened at Bethany"? But of course, I know you have a response to this.

On your word study, I would agree that that "holeyn" typically points back, but some time ago I found "these" to be problematic in a number of areas. It was too specific, and not malleable enough to fit most contexts. I think it was Matthew 9:18 that eventually changed my view on the word.

"As-of then these so-speaking he-was ... " ??? - This didn't make sense to me.
"As-of then such-that so-speaking he-was ... " - This version made more sense contextually, although I think "such-to-that" might actually be the full range of the word.

This is how John 1:28 would read using that same translation:

"At-Beth-Anyah such-that became, on-across the-Yurdnon; whereas so-baptizing he-was, Yuchanon."

Here, it would appear that not only is Beth-Anyah described as being across the Yurdnon, but also as the place where Yuchanon was baptizing.

But for the sake of being malleable myself, I could write the same translation in a way that conforms to your way of thinking, simply be changing where the end of the sentence occurs.

"... at-Beth-Anyah, such-that became.
(New paragraph) - On-across the Yurdnon, whereas so-baptizing he-was, Yuchanon, and-to-the-day after, Yuchanon saw to-Yeshua, of-coming toward-him ..."

So yeah, I can see where either argument has some plausibility to it, and either can be construed by the text; depending upon where one draws the end of the sentence.

Messages In This Thread
These in Bethany happened - by gregglaser - 03-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Re: These in Bethany happened - by Thirdwoe - 03-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Re: These in Bethany happened - by Jerry - 03-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Re: These in Bethany happened - by gregglaser - 03-30-2014, 02:35 AM
Re: These in Bethany happened - by Jerry - 03-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Re: These in Bethany happened - by gregglaser - 03-30-2014, 09:57 PM