Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AENT 6th Edition
Any news about another update of the AENT? I've also been curious about Roth's Tanach. Dave Bauscher told me it would just be another few months until he converts his Interlinear Peshitta Torah to "Plain English", so we should have more Peshitta fun coming up in the English language in the near future!
hi thats good news looking forward to davids next publication
ScorpioSniper2 Wrote:Any news about another update of the AENT? I've also been curious about Roth's Tanach. Dave Bauscher told me it would just be another few months until he converts his Interlinear Peshitta Torah to "Plain English", so we should have more Peshitta fun coming up in the English language in the near future!
While I will agree with you on the excitement of David Bauscher's work, I find it hard to believe that another edition from Roth could ever raise an eye brow. Now don't get me wrong as I have the 4th Edition of the AENT and I think it is the best ReNewed Covenant version on the market today, thanks to Paul Younan's and James Murdoch's transnational works along with others efforts (such as Laurence L. Sheets putting paul Younan's Interlinear into plain English form, and who ever it was that put James Murdoch's translation into modern day English so all that Roth had to do was do a quick edit to put fourth what become known as the AENT/hebrashitto), but as attested to by many here on peshitta.org and others around Roth has carried the same transnational mistakes, made by Younan and Murdoch, from the 1st Edition right on through to his 5th. So really one should not have any reasonable expectation that Roth would ever put fourth a better edition in the future. And again being I think the footnotes as well as the transnational work done by the afore mentioned men combined with Roth's edits make for the best there is at the moment, and while there is still plenty room for improvement upon this work one can just as easily get any edition, from the 1st to the 5th, of the AENT and have the same thing coming and going. That having been said if you want an AENT just get the 5th edition from Roth's site or perhaps look online for a used older edition. Just know this, do not expect any of them to be perfect as many can attest that the more they look over the AENTs the more distrait they become over lost hopes of it being what it was advertised to be. And after all that I will say again, simply do not wait with baited breath in hopes that Roth will make a 6th edition, just go and get one as soon as you can afford. And please do yourself a favor and look for the good all throughout it because as mention it would become a full time job if one decided to fully critique any particular version of it (OY).
Actually, I was downloading some PDF's today and noticed that David Bauscher had already published his Plain English version of the Peshitta Torah. Can't wait to get it and the Interlinear! I haven't heard anything new about Andrew Roth's Tanach project MATARA (Masoretic Targumic Amplified Edition).
Good to here about Bauscher's Plain English translation of the Tanach, I to am hoping forward to getting a copy one day, to study along side Lamsa's.

And as far as for Roth making a version of the Tanach anytime soon, the more the marrier I say. And personally I would not have a problem with Roth editing the Lamsa translation to make it from as I am one of those that like Roth's Hebraic touch, and who knows, perhaps the Lamsa copyright holders might agree. Otherwise, I would not hold my breath being he would have to do a far better job at editing in order to disguise Lamsa's translation as being the base text so it would not look anything familiar to it (as in the case with his ReNewed Covenant version) being it's still under copyright, unlike the two texts he used for the base of his ReNewed Covenant, in which he whopped out in a matter of months as opposed to the years it normally takes real translaters.
I love the Lamsa Bible despite its faults. For some reason the translation feels Semitic to me. With the popularity of the Lamsa translation, I am shocked that it hasn't been revised. Most of Lamsa's issues are limited to the Synoptic Gospels. Sure, he has some Greek interpolation but it is still a good representative of the Aramaic Peshitta text and a good introduction. It wouldn't take a whole lot of work to fix it up and make it the best that it could be.