Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wikipedia statements about Peshitta
(01-16-2020, 03:18 AM)Thomas Wrote: Thank you very much for that link to Professor Sebastian Brock's video.  Here is an excerpt of his exact words, transcribed verbatim (although note the ellipsis where I skipped a portion).

"I'm going to let you into a secret of another kind of travel, and that is how to travel back in time 2,000 years.  And it's very simple.  You need to learn the "Our Father, who art in heaven," in Syriac.  Abuwn d'bashmaya.  And if you do, then you can, in your mind, travel back 2,000 years, and you could say it in company with St. Thomas.  And he would understand, pretty well, what you're saying; and you would understand him when he prayed the Lord's prayer.  So, this is the great merit of Syriac, that it will--the liturgical language of the Syria-Malabar Church--it's preserved this wonderful language--the dialect of Aramaic spoken by our Lord.  And this language was the one in which Christianity spread east. (. . .) So every time you go to a church, you will hear--even if it's only the English part--you must remember that underneath this, the actual original text is in Syriac.  And this will take you back, like the Lord's prayer, 2,000 or so years.  So that is why Syriac is such an important feature in all of your tradition."

YouTube, "Professor Sebastian Brock talks about the East Syriac Tradition and Language" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUEDtpTs_tE (0:51-4:49 in the video)

Thank you, Thomas. This is an exact representation of what he's saying on the video.
There is also another video where he says something that goes like this: Experts in Galilean Aramaic reconstructed Lord's prayer in Galilean and what they ended up with was quite similar to what we have right now in Peshitta... If I come across this again, I'll post it.
So I suppose Steve C. reconstruction might not be that close to reality, as  his reconstruction diverges quite a bit from Peshitta.

Messages In This Thread
Wikipedia statements about Peshitta - by ograabe - 01-24-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Wikipedia statements about Peshitta - by borota - 01-17-2020, 01:11 AM