Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does James 3:9 translate from the Peshitta?
Found it!...Or at least an "it"..or something...

Anyway, from The Book of Genesis: Chapters 1-17, Victor Hamilton:

"The etymology of Nimrod is uncertain. Most writers have connected it with the Hebrew verb, Marad [[Note: M - "bar a" - r - a - d]], to "rebel". In the Haggadah, (T.B. Hag 13a; Pes. 94b) Nimrod is pictured as the prototype of rebellion, the builder of the Tower of Babel, and as the one who led the people in rebellion against God. Dahood has noted that at both Ebla and Ugarit some proper names combine an animal and a diety. He notes particularly Ugar. ni - mi - ri - ya (which he translates "panther of Yah"), which leads him to suggest that Nimrod means "panther of Haad" (i.e., Baal), analogous to nqmd ("victory of Haad") [10]
[10] M.J. Dahood, "Ebla, Ugarit and the Old Testament," TD 27, 1979, 129; idem, "Ebla, Ugarit and the Bible," in G. Pettinato, The Archives of Ebla: an Empire Inscribed in Clay , (Garden City, New York: Doubleday, 1981), p. 277.

This ties together a coupla' threads including greglaser and a Post I made. "MarYah" comes across 1000 years from the Sumerians to the Israelites as "LORD-YAH" but I still look at a possible word-play with "Immer-Yah" - "Lamb of God" and a reference to the 16th Mishmarot Service Group "Immer". Which leads to the "Lamb of God who appeared slain.." in Revelation 5+.

This gets deeper by the minute...

Thanx,

CW

Messages In This Thread
Re: How does James 3:9 translate from the Peshitta? - by Charles Wilson - 01-22-2014, 04:52 PM