Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARAMAIC BOOKS
Please let us know which text source these translations were made from. Which manuscripts or printed text editions were used for the actual translations.

I'm not sure, but I surmise that this translation will have all the Western version's readings in its text, as found in Acts 20:28, Hebrews 2:9, and Hebrews 2:16, being later variants of what is found in The Peshitta's text, and will have these passages below present in the text, where the Peshitta's text doesn't have them.

The Pericope Adulterae (John 7:53?8:11), Luke 22:17-18, Acts 8:37, Acts 15:34, and Acts 28:29. And also will have the Western Five books included as well.

If this is all true, then what they have produced isn't The Peshitta NT at all, but rather a later version of it, which is more inline with a certain Greek manuscript family in use during the time the version was made than with The Original Peshitta NT. Some call it "The Peshitto", but whatever the name it's called, it is a hybrid text using The Peshitta NT text, and a particular Greek NT text of the editors choice.

George Anton Kiraz is a member of the Syriac Orthodox Church too, so when he thinks "Peshitta", he's probably thinking of the Western Peshitto/Western Peshitta, rather than the Eastern Peshitta New Testament used by the Church of the East.
Here is a link that explains the translation process:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/p-59865-the-gospel-of-luke-according-to-the-syriac-peshitta-version-with-english-translationbrenglish-translation-by-jeff-w-childers-text-prepared-by-george-anton-kirazbrsurath-kthob-.aspx">http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/p- ... thob-.aspx</a><!-- m -->
Notice what is said about their particular text version in the description there at the link.

Quote:The Peshitta Luke is not an independent translation from the Greek, but represents a process of revision of earlier Syriac versions (the Diatessaron and the Old Syriac), culminating in the early fifth century, after which the Peshitta became the standard form of the Gospel text for all the Syriac Churches. To produce the Peshitta, the ancient editor/s revised the text to bring it more in line with the Greek text, though traces of the earlier versions remain.

This is part true, and part un-true.

1st of all, The Peshitta proper is not a revision of anything, but an unchanged text since it was given to The Church of the East by the Apostles. The later re-visions which is mentioned there in the statement, are the Western copies from the Syriac Orthodox monks, who edited the text to bring their version in line with the Greek text. At least they admit it here.

When ever they say "Peshitta", they are not speaking of the original text which has always been used in The Church of the East, and is found in all the Church of the East's manuscripts. In fact, the word "Peshitta" was coined sometime in the 10th century.

I tend to call the real Peshitta, The Aramaic Holy Scriptures. Because that is what they really are.

I had the same thoughts. I wish the CoE would produce an English translation. Guess Younan is the best we have for now.