Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A greek primacist question...
Thirdwoe Wrote:
Quote:How does one who believes in Peshitta primacy, account for elements such as "awangelion" which is obviously a transliteration of the Greek word "euangeliou", in many places in the Aramaic NT

This was sent to me today.

Shlama Akhi

The presence of any Greek loan words in the Aramaic NT is actually expected, given the milieu in which that Aramaic variety was present.

If we found no Greek loan words in the Peshitta, but say instead we found Persian or other loan words, then it could not be a product of Aramaic-speaking Jews who lived in a Greek-speaking empire.

The existence of Greek (and, Latin) loan words in the Peshitta is actually a marker of its authenticity.

It does not make sense, for instance, to assume that a theoretical Aramaic translator of Mark would simply transcribe euangelou in 1:1, but translate the instance in 1:14 to "sebartha" (the pure Aramaic form.)

Do you see what I mean? Why transliterate verse 1, but translate verse 14 ?

This only makes sense if Mark himself wrote the first instance as its loan word from Greek, which yes was known in the LXX and from everyday life in a Greek and Latin empire.

The presence of loan words is a very weak evidence. I don't put much weight in the Aramaic loan words in the GNT. Because, again, loan words can creep in for any number of reasons, and don't really carry any weight in this debate.

+Shamasha

Messages In This Thread
A greek primacist question... - by Thirdwoe - 12-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Re: A greek primacist question... - by Thirdwoe - 12-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Re: A greek primacist question... - by Paul Younan - 12-09-2013, 01:51 AM
Re: A greek primacist question... - by Thirdwoe - 12-09-2013, 02:16 AM
Re: A greek primacist question... - by enarxe - 12-09-2013, 02:31 AM
Re: A greek primacist question... - by enarxe - 12-09-2013, 03:29 AM
Re: A greek primacist question... - by Matthew - 12-09-2013, 05:17 AM
Re: A greek primacist question... - by Thirdwoe - 12-10-2013, 08:22 AM