Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revelation 2:20 - BSWA Part 9
9. Suffer or tolerate? ??? Revelation 2:20

The KJV says: ???Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.???

The NIV says: ???Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols.???

Versions that say suffer or a variation thereof: ASV, Douay-Rheims, Geneva, KJ21, KJV, Rotherham, Webster, Wycliffe, YLT.

Versions that say tolerate, let alone or a variation thereof: AMP, ESV, GodsWord, Holman, ISV, NASB, NIV, NIV-UK, RSV, TEV, Weymouth.

Now, it just so happens that the Aramaic root qb$ can be translated as both.

???Added to the 10 examples of poor Greek grammar found on akhan Steve Caruso's site-aramaicnt.org-(a proud part of peshitta.org ), there are some other bits and pieces that would lead us to the conclusion that Revelation was first penned in Aramaic!

In Revelation 2:20, Stephens 1550 Textus Receptus and Scrivener's 1894 Textus Receptus have 'eas' which George Ricker Berry translates 'thou sufferest.' The Byzantine Majority text and the Alexandrian text have 'apheis' which George Berry translates in the footnote as 'thou lettest alone.' [many English versions translate this as ???tolerate??? - Chris] Well, as it turns out the root of the corresponding word in the Syriac Peshitto is 'sh-b-q.' Here is the paste from CAL:

$bq V
011 passim to leave (& depart)
012 passim to leave s.t. left over
013 passim to abandon
014 passim to permit
015 JLAGal,Syr to divorce
016 Syr to send out
017 Syr %dmA)% to shed blood
018 Syr %)iydA)% to admit
019 Syr to admit
0110 JLAGal,JLATg,Syr to condone, to forgive
0111 Syr to reserve
0112 Syr to make fire
0113 Syr %$bowq% let alone
0114 JLAGal to let alone
0115 JLAGal to omit s.t.
0116 JLAGal,JLATg to entrust, to put aside
0117 JLAGal to bequeth
041 passim to be left
042 Syr to be deserted
043 JLAGal,Syr to be permitted
044 JLATg,Syr to be condoned
045 Syr to be kindled
031 Syr to permit
021 JLAGal,JLATg to divorce
051 JLAGal to be divorced

The standard editions that have 'apheis' ('thou lettest alone' [translated as ???tolerate??? in many English versions of these Greek mss - Chris] -{Berry}) are Griesbach, Lachmann, Tischendorf, Tregelles, Alford, and Wordsworth.??? - Larry Kelsey

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Larry Kelsey for this split word.