Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semitic Syntax: Not Strong Evidence?
PY! -

You state: "Commas added for clarity and proper flow of thought. Something not present in the GNT."

So, I went to the InterLinear and looked at Acts, hoping to find Acts 18. Alas, your very fine work only goes to Ch.16 (as of today!). The last part of Chapter 18 has a very interesting set of verses and I would like, with commas added for, you know, clarity of, like..., reading and stuff, your comments.

Acts 18: 24 (Aramaic Translation from Vic Alexander, with note):

24. And a Jewish man whose name was Apollo, who was of Alexandrian origin,*...

*18:24.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "From Alexandrian kinship."

Now, whenever I see "Friend", "Honored Friend", "Guards of the Realm" and "Kinsman" I begin looking at the Greek Ordering of the Court (See: The Herods of Judaea, AHM Jones). A possible example of this is found in"The Banquet" Story. Jesus states that one should start at the low end of the "Friends" table and wait for the Host to move you on up to a higher position, where you will be "Honored":

Luke 14: 10 (RSV):

[10] But when you are invited, go and sit in the lowest place, so that when your host comes he may say to you, `Friend, go up higher'; then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at table with you.

Another example of this is found in Josephus. A man named "Ptolemy", Keeper of Herod's Seal and brother to the Political Control Officer Nicholas of Damascus, was one of Herod's "Honored Friends", according to Josephus. Thus, Ptolemy's Rank is given, since this is after Herod's ordering of his Court. (Nicholas of Damascus and Ptolemy play a HUGE role in the the Death of Herod and the Temple Slaughter of 4 BCE. Josephus does his best to hide this entire event...)

At the end of Acts 18, we get info about this Jewish man "...From Alexandrian kinship":

28. For he argued eruditely against the Jews before the congregation, while he showed from Scriptures regarding Jesus, that he was the Messiah.

PY: What does your analysis of the Aramaic tell you about this? It's important because, without all of those, you know, commas, used for clarity and the like, the end of this passage may read:

28. For he argued eruditely against the Jews before the congregation while he showed from Scriptures regarding Jesus that he was the Messiah.

"That WHO was the Messiah?!??" If this is a Ruler of Alexandrian origin and he is saying that HE was the Messiah, who is referenced in this passage? "Marcus Agrippa"?
I trust you see the problem. What say ye?
Thanx,

CW