Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Dream and Gratitude
Thirdwoe Wrote:If you don't agree, then I challenge you to show me/us any text that you might feel better represents the original form of the text, all things considered, as it existed in the 1st century, I would like to know what it is, if you know.

Shlama Akhi,

I don't mean to speak for Akhan Steve, but my understanding of his posts throughout the years gives me the impression that the concept of a single source representing something more accurate than the Peshitta is simply not an option in his thinking. As he has stated several times, his understanding of these issues has evolved over time.

In some ways, Akhan Steve is not much different in approach than the mainstream Greek Primacists and their reconstructionalist/critical method. The only difference that I can really see is that (to his credit, and my blessing/support) perhaps Steve looks to filter the problem through the Aramaic language, rather than the Greek. But in almost all other aspects (i.e., no one text, textual criticism, reverse engineering, etc.) his approach is not much different than those who subscribe to the theory that the texts in question were written in an Indo-European tongue.

To summarize:

Greek Primacist: Jesus and the Apostles spoke Aramaic (and at times, Greek and Latin), but the authors of the NT committed the writings first in Greek. And there is no surviving text that best represents the "original." So we must be critical in our approach and reconstruct.

Steve Caruso: Jesus and the Apostles spoke (Galilean! <-- stress here always) Aramaic (and at times, Greek and Latin), and the authors of the NT committed the writings first in this one particular dialect (stress here!). And there is no surviving text that best represents the "original." So we must be critical in our approach and reconstruct (see his website, and posts here, for examples.)

In other words, I believe that Akhan Steve's main focus is not on the original language of the New Testament, or which single version best represents the accurate transmission of the text from the 1st century to today. I believe his main focus is on reconstructing what he believes must have been the language that Jesus and all His Disciples spoke, and use that as the "filter" (if I may) that he uses to better understand *whatever* text or manuscript he is looking for insight into. Whether that is the Greek(s), or the CPA, or the Peshitta is of little significance to his approach.

Akhan Steve, not too much unlike our Greek Primacist friends, believes the "original" is lost and no one bothered to save it. Maybe one day it will be found in a cave somewhere, and look just like how Steve envisioned it. But in lieu of that miracle, and in the meantime, it is our mission now to reconstruct, each man to himself (or, each camp to itself) what that original must've looked like, in our own wisdom, after much prayer (for the non-Atheists in this field) and study.

I do believe Akhan Steve will tell you that the "what it is" in your question above, does not exist. Your question, rather, should be rephrased as "what they are, possibly, in your opinion?"

Akhi Steve, this post was made in love and I in no way meant to butt in. If I've mis-represented your views, please let me know and my apologies in advance.

+Shamasha

Messages In This Thread
My Dream and Gratitude - by ScorpioSniper2 - 10-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Re: My Dream and Gratitude - by SteveCaruso - 10-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Re: My Dream and Gratitude - by ScorpioSniper2 - 10-22-2013, 02:14 AM
Re: My Dream and Gratitude - by Thirdwoe - 10-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Re: My Dream and Gratitude - by SteveCaruso - 10-24-2013, 02:30 AM
Re: My Dream and Gratitude - by Thirdwoe - 10-24-2013, 06:45 AM
Re: My Dream and Gratitude - by Paul Younan - 10-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Re: My Dream and Gratitude - by SteveCaruso - 10-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Re: My Dream and Gratitude - by Paul Younan - 10-25-2013, 02:59 AM
Re: My Dream and Gratitude - by Thirdwoe - 10-25-2013, 05:28 AM