Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The missing Shofar in the NT translations
The Greek translation of the NT, does not have a special word for Shofar, however, in the OT, the Shofar was not just a trumpet, or cornet, but a Jewish instrument which played an important role in great wars, that one of Gideon, for instance, or at the fall of Jericho.

There are 8 ocurrences of Shofar. 7 in Revelation, and 1 in Mathew (which proves that it's origin was more Hebrew than other gospels)

Matthew 24:31
And he shall send his angels with the great shofar, and they shall gather the chosen

Revelation 1:10
and I heard behind me a great voice as a shofar, saying

4:1
And the first voice that I had heard as a shofar talking with me, said

8:2
seven angels to whom were given seven shofars (shipurin).
8:6
seven angels which had the seven shofars prepared

8:13
Woe, woe, to those who dwell upon earth, from the voice of the rest of the shofars of the three angels ...
9:14
the sixth angel who had a shofar, release ...

Revelation 18:22
And the voice of harp, and of musicians, and of singers, and of the shofar... will never be heard again

It's clear that the shofar in end-time prophecy plays a role. At the seventh shofar, it's like the city of Jericho falls and so will Babel the Great fall.

I think our translations should reflect this from the source text as well.
That's pretty neat.

I'm curious about Paul's use of the opposite term "qrna" referring to a more general horn, in his own prophetic passages like 1 Co. 15:52 and 1 Th 4:16. Could this possibly be a stylistic difference? There can't be very much doubt that both authors are talking about the same event, based on context, right?

Shlama,
Brian
bknight Wrote:That's pretty neat.

I'm curious about Paul's use of the opposite term "qrna" referring to a more general horn, in his own prophetic passages like 1 Co. 15:52 and 1 Th 4:16. Could this possibly be a stylistic difference? There can't be very much doubt that both authors are talking about the same event, based on context, right?

Shlama,
Brian

I agree, it's the same event. A shofar is a horn, but a horn is not a shofar. Shofar is more specific I believe.
Not sure I understand your last post. Shofar is a "horn" in both senses of the (english) word. In other words it is both a musical instrument and comes from the head of a ram.

There is another word for trumpet, a musical "horn" which may or may not be the "horn" of an animal, and that is what Paul uses.

Like I said, the context is clear that Paul is referring to the same event even though he uses a different (less specific) word for trumpet.

What I find interesting is that the greek version of the New Testament use the same greek word in both cases. This is more evident of a translation from aramaic to greek than the other way around.