Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maran in Luke 16:8
Who do you understand is "Maran" in 16:8 ? Is it "our master" (it would mean Our Master, Yeshua, right ?) or "his master", i.e. the owner of the (mis)managed business from the story?
Jerzy
enarxe Wrote:Who do you understand is "Maran" in 16:8 ? Is it "our master" (it would mean Our Master, Yeshua, right ?) or "his master", i.e. the owner of the (mis)managed business from the story?
Jerzy

Shlama akhi Jerzy,

in the Gospels, MARAN is used quite often to reference the Messiah, but not always, so it might be difficult to pin down for sure exactly who is being referred to in this passage. but personally, i think it is the human "master" and not Yeshua, since i see no place where the account makes sense to include Yeshua into the story. that's just my perspective, though.

anyhow, nice to see you are still around! it has been awhile! blessings to you.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Shlama akhi Jeremy,

First of all - thank you for replying.

I also would deduct from the flow of the story that it only makes sense to assume that maran here is the earthly master, not Y'shua.

But ... I can see this translated both ways in different places, and AENT has got "our master". In one Greek MS which I have checked there is a christogram in this place, obvious interpretation on the part of the translator. And most importantly suffix "-an" is the possessive pronoun meaning "our" in Aramaic, isn't it ? Where the only corporate body are the listeners (otherwise it would be "his master" in the narrative), so ... it would have to mean Our Master. Obviously it is another matter in what sense the unjust steward was "praised" and for what.

It makes a difference - I have encountered someone abusing this parable in interpretation and concluding from it that Yeshua Rabbeinu was here allowing and praising "capers" and justified being an "unjust steward" in business. Something I cannot accept. For me the story only says "making friends is more important than making a few quid" and that managing money (or other resources) well is a small thing where we can start and an entry level from which we can move on to "greater things" (quite clear from ).

Shlama wBurkate,
Jerzy
enarxe Wrote:Shlama akhi Jeremy,

First of all - thank you for replying.

I also would deduct from the flow of the story that it only makes sense to assume that maran here is the earthly master, not Y'shua.

But ... I can see this translated both ways in different places, and AENT has got "our master". In one Greek MS which I have checked there is a christogram in this place, obvious interpretation on the part of the translator. And most importantly suffix "-an" is the possessive pronoun meaning "our" in Aramaic, isn't it ? Where the only corporate body are the listeners (otherwise it would be "his master" in the narrative), so ... it would have to mean Our Master. Obviously it is another matter in what sense the unjust steward was "praised" and for what.

It makes a difference - I have encountered someone abusing this parable in interpretation and concluding from it that Yeshua Rabbeinu was here allowing and praising "capers" and justified being an "unjust steward" in business. Something I cannot accept. For me the story only says "making friends is more important than making a few quid" and that managing money (or other resources) well is a small thing where we can start and an entry level from which we can move on to "greater things" (quite clear from ).

Shlama wBurkate,
Jerzy

Shlama akhi,

yes, it definitely matters how one translates it, for this alone could lead to some troubling interpretations, as you mention.

do you know what manuscript has the Christogram in this verse?

i think it is entirely possible that "our master" refers to the human individual, just as you might recall a tv or radio program of bygone years, upon returning to its plot, having the resuming introduction of something like, "When we last left our hero...." in that sense, it would serve to work well as Messiah referring to the human master spoken of in the parable.

but it is one that i think is highly subject to the individual's perspective on the parable.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Burning one Wrote:[..]do you know what manuscript has the Christogram in this verse?
Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

Yes, for example Vaticanus <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://images.csntm.org/Manuscripts/GA_03/GA03_052b.jpg">http://images.csntm.org/Manuscripts/GA_03/GA03_052b.jpg</a><!-- m --> , third column, line 25 from the top, KC. I had not checked any other, that one was a safe bet.

With Peace and Blessings,
Jerzy